Masala papad recipe – Crispy papad topped with spiced onion-tomato mixture. It is a starter that is served in many Punjabi restaurants.
For making masala papad, I have roasted the papad on tawa using very little oil. While in the restaurants, they deep fry the papad. So this one is healthier. Even though it is not deep fried, you won’t miss the flavors.
In India, every Punjabi restaurant serves masala papad as an appetizer. Whenever we go out for dinner, dad always order this. So we can just munch on till we get our mains or soup. As a kid, I was more excited for it. And we cousins used to fight over it ‘who gets the bigger piece.?’
But that is not the case here in USA. We rarely order the masala papad in restaurants. Even many doesn’t have it in the menu. Just because, in states they serve papad and coriander-mint chutney as a complementary.
How to make masala papad (Step by Step Recipe with Photos):
1) Take chopped onion, tomato, green chili and coriander leaves in a bowl.
2) Also add salt and chaat masala.
3) Squeeze some lemon juice.
4) Mix well and keep it aside.
5) Now let’s roast the papad. take two urad dal papad.
6) Heat the pan or tawa on medium heat. Drizzle a teaspoon of oil and spread around.
7) Once oil is hot put the papad.
8) Roast the papad by pressing it with spatula.
9) After few seconds, flip it and continue cooking by pressing.
10) Keep flipping and roasting the papad, till it gets golden brown and crispy. You will not see any raw papad. Roast another papad same way.
11) Put the roasted papad on the serving plate.
12) Sprinkle prepared onion-tomato mixture evenly.
Serve masala papad immediately. within few minutes, papad will starts to get soft and soggy from the moisture of veggies.
Serving suggestion: Serve as a starter before you meal. It can be served as a snack as well.
- Two more methods for cooking papad instead of frying on tawa. You can dry roast the papad directly on flame using tongs. Or you can make two or four pieces of papad and deep fry them into oil.
- In onion-tomato mixture, you can add finely chopped cucumber and capsicum as well.
- If you don’t want spicy then you can skip the green chili.
- Here I have used Lijjat urad dal papad with black pepper. You can use any flavored papad like jeera, garlic, plain, double mari (double black pepper).
- For this masala papad recipe, urad dal papad tastes best. But you can use moong dal papad or mix of urad and moong dal papad as well.
- If your tomatoes are too juicy. then discard the seeds and then chop. So the topping will not get too watery.
Masala papad recipe on tawa
- 2 Urad dal papad
- 2-3 teaspoons Oil for roasting the papad
- ¼ cup Onion finely chopped
- ¼ cup Tomato finely chopped
- 1 small Green chili stem and seeds removed, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon Cilantro or coriander leaves chopped finely
- Salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Chaat masala
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- Take chopped onion, tomato, green chili and coriander leaves in a bowl.
- Also add salt and chaat masala.
- Squeeze some lemon juice. Mix well and keep it aside.
- Now let’s roast the papad. take two urad dal papad.
- Heat the pan or tawa on medium heat. Drizzle a teaspoon of oil and spread around.
- Once oil is hot put the papad.
- Roast the papad by pressing it with spatula.
- After few seconds, flip it and continue cooking by pressing.
- Keep flipping and roasting the papad, till it gets golden brown and crispy from both sides.
- Put the roasted papad on the serving plate.
- Sprinkle prepared onion-tomato mixture evenly.
- Serve masala papad immediately.