Rasmalai recipe – spongy rasgullas soaked in rich, sweet, thickened, saffron flavored milk. At the time of serving, it is garnished with your choice of nuts.
Making rasmalai recipe is divided into two parts – first is making rasgulla. Second is making sweet, thickened milk. I have made rasgulla a day before. Kept in the refrigerator overnight. And next day I made rasmalai.
This is the second most requested recipe here on the blog. Because I want to share the recipe with homemade rasgulla, it took me some time to post it here. After a long waiting, you have the best recipe here.
Rasmalai is rich dessert. It is usually prepared on festivals like Diwali or special occasions. And it is served after dinner.
I have used the homemade rasgulla, but you use the store bought or canned rasgulla as well. Choose as the time permits.
For the thickened milk aka ‘ras’, as you have seen I have boiled the milk till it reduces to the half quantity. I used this method because I wanted to share the authentic version of it. It takes some time but tastes fantastic. You can make the instant version by using sweetened condensed milk instead of slowly boiling the milk. I will share that version in near future.
Rasgullas are squeezed lightly to remove the excess syrup, then added to the sweet milk. Then you must need to chill the rasmalai into the fridge for at least 2-3 hours and preferably overnight. By this chilling time, the milk is absorbed by the balls. It becomes more soft and juicy. After a bite, it will melt in your mouth.
How to make rasmalai recipe (Step by step photos):
1) Take milk in a heavy bottom pan. Turn the heat on medium heat. Bring the milk to a boil.
2) While milk is heating, take rasgullas. Squeeze it lightly to remove the excess syrup.
3) Don’t press it too hard, otherwise rasgulla will get break.
4) Prepare all the rasgulla this way. Keep it aside.
5) Back to the milk. Once it starts boiling, keep stirring and keep simmering the milk.
6) Simmer it till it reduces to its half quantity. It took me 25-30 minutes.
7) Once it reduces to half, add sugar.
8) Also add saffron.
9) Again let it simmer for 5-6 minutes.
10) Then add prepared rasgulla. and let it simmer for only 2 minutes. Turn off the stove.
11) Lastly add rose water.
12) Stir gently. Let it cool down completely. Once it comes to the room temperature. Chill the rasmalai in the refrigerator for few hours. It is best to chill overnight.
At the time of serving, garnish it with sliced almonds.
Serving suggestion: Serve rasmalai as a dessert after your meal. Or enjoy it whenever you are craving for.
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
Ingredients for rasmalai recipe:
- 14-15 pieces Rasgulla
- 6 cups Milk
- ½ cup Sugar
- few strands Saffron
- 2 teaspoons Rose water
- 2 tablespoons Almonds Sliced, for serving
- Make rasgulla a day before or on the same day. You can also use store bought.
Making rasamlai recipe:
- Take milk in a heavy bottom pan. Turn the heat on medium heat. Bring the milk to a boil.
- While milk is heating, take rasgullas. Squeeze it lightly to remove the excess syrup. Don’t press it too hard, otherwise rasgulla will get break.
- Prepare all the rasgulla this way. Keep it aside.
- Back to the milk. Once it starts boiling, keep stirring and keep simmering the milk.
- Simmer it till it reduces to its half quantity. It took me 25-30 minutes.
- Once it reduces to half, add sugar and saffron.
- Again let it simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Then add prepared rasgulla. and let it simmer for only 2 minutes.
- Turn off the stove.
- Lastly add rose water. Stir gently. Let it cool down completely.
- Once cooled, chill in the refrigerator.