Bread Roll Recipe - the bread is stuffed with spiced potato-peas mixture and shaped into roll. These stuffed bread roll are fried till crisp and golden brown.
As said the stuffing is made from potatoes, But you can try the same with different kind of stuffing e.g. mixed veg, paneer, tofu.
For making bread roll, I suggest using stale bread which is a day or two old. Though you can use fresh but it’s easy to work with stale one because we are dipping the bread into water for shaping purpose.
Here I have used white bread. But you can use any like wheat bread, multigrain bread.
This can be a good party snack or appetizer. You can enjoy it as an evening snack with a cup of tea or coffee.
Step by Step Photos
1) Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
2) Now add chopped green chili and ginger paste.
3) Mix and saute for 30-40 seconds or till the raw smell of ginger goes away.
4) Next add turmeric powder.
5) Immediately add boiled, mashed potatoes and boiled peas.
6) Mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes or till it there is no moisture left.
7) Now add salt, red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala and kasoori methi.
8) Mix well and cook for a minute.
9) Now add coriander leaves and squeeze the lemon juice.
10) Mix very well and turn off the stove.
11) Let it cool down. Remove it to a plate or wide bowl, so it gets cool faster.
12) Once cooled, divide it into 6 equal portion and shape into rolls. The quantity and size may vary depending on the size of your bread.
13) Now take bread slices and trim the edges.
14) Take water in wide bowl. Dip the bread into the water and immediately take out from the water. (Do not soak the bread into water, just dampen the bread)
15) Now keep the wet bread slice into one palm and press with other hand’s fingers and squeeze out all the water.
16) Now the bread is soft, moist.
17) Place one potato stuffing roll on it.
18) Close the edges of the bread and shape into roll.
19) Place into the plate and repeat the same to shape rest.
20) Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat for frying. The oil should be medium hot, just like we heat up for pakoras. If the oil is not hot enough then bread will soak up oil. So once the oil is hot, carefully slide few rolls in it.
21) Do turn them and move around for even frying. Fry till they are golden brown from all the sides.
22) Remove it to a paper towel lined plate using slotted spatula.
Serve them hot/warm.
Serving suggestion: Stuffed bread roll can be served with green chutney, ketchup or your choice of chutney or dipping sauce.
📋 Recipe Card
Bread Roll Recipe
- 6 slices Bread preferably a day or two old
- 1 cups Potatoes boiled, peeled and mashed
- ¼ cup Green peas boiled or steamed or microwaved
- 1 tablespoon Oil + more for drying
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 Green chili finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon Ginger paste or freshly grated or crushed
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon Red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon Coriander powder
- ¼ teaspoon Garam masala
- ½ teaspoon Kasoori methi (Dried fenugreek leaves)
- 1 tablespoon Cilantro or coriander leaves
- 2 teaspoon Lemon juice or to taste
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
- Then add ginger paste and chopped green chili, saute for few seconds or till the raw smell of ginger garlic goes away.
- Add turmeric powder and immediately add boiled, mashed potatoes and boiled peas. Mix well.
- Next mix in salt and all the spice powders. Cook for few minutes.
- Lastly add cilantro and lemon juice, mix.
- Remove it to a plate and let it cool down.
- Once cooled, divide into 6 equal portions and shape into roll.
- Take bread slices and remove the edges.
- Take some water in a wide bowl, take one bread and dip into the water to dampen it.
- Then squeeze out all the water without ruining the shape of bread slice.
- Now place one potato roll and close the edges to seal and shape into roll.
- Repeat the same process to shape all bread rolls.
- Heat the oil in a pan for frying on medium heat. Once hot slide few bread rolls into the hot oil and fry till they are golden brown from all the sides.
- Remove it using slotted spatula and put them on paper towel lined plate.
- Serve hot with chutney and ketchup.