Matar Masala Recipe – This is North Indian, restaurant style green peas curry recipe. Like other restaurant style gravy dishes, this one is also creamy, rich and delicious.
The gravy is made from onion tomato just like typical north indian gravy. Addition of cashew nuts and heavy cream makes it rich and creamy.
To make this matar masala, fresh green peas are used. So it is called green peas masala. The slight sweetness of peas goes well with spicy, creamy gravy.
Today’s recipe is gravy version, I have already shared the dry version – Matar ki sabzi.
Whenever the fresh green peas are available in the season, you must make this. Here I have used frozen green peas since I rarely get my hands on fresh ones.
Green peas are hubby’s favorite and peas paratha is his most favorite. Since he loves peas, I use them very often in my cooking and most of the times I combine them with other veggies like aloo matar, mushroom matar, gobi matar, cabbage sabzi (w/ matar and aloo), methi matar malai.
How to make Matar Masala Recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Take ginger and garlic into a grinder jar.
2) Grind coarsely or make paste and remove it to a small bowl. Alternately you can use premade ginger garlic paste or freshly grate them.
3) In the same grinder jar add chopped tomatoes and cashew nuts.
4) Grind it into smooth puree. Keep it aside.
5) On other side, boil the green peas in plenty of salted water till they are soft and tender. Drain the water and keep the boiled peas aside. Alternately you can boil the peas in pressure cooker or microwave. I prefer to cook them in a pan so that they retain its bright green color.
6) Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add whole spices (bay leaf, green cardamoms, black cardamom, cloves and cinnamon stick). Saute for a minute or so and you will have nice aroma of the spices. Then add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
7) Add chopped onions.
8) Mix and cook till they are soft and light pink or translucent in color.
9) Now add prepared ginger garlic paste.
10) Mix and saute for a minute or till the raw smell of ginger garlic goes away.
11) Now add cashew-tomato puree.
12) Mix and let it cook.
13) Keep stirring occasionally and continue cooking.
14) Cook till all the moisture evaporates and it becomes thick paste.
15) Now add salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder and coriander powder.
16) Mix and saute for a minute.
17) Now lower the heat and add yogurt.
18) Mix immediately.
19) Add water to make gravy consistency. Again crank heat to the medium and let it come to simmer. And cook for 5 minutes.
20) Now add garam masala, kasoori methi and green cardamom seeds powder.
21) Mix well.
22) Now add boiled peas.
23) Mix and let it come to a simmer.
24) Lastly add heavy cream.
25) and cook for 2 minutes. Turn off the stove.
26) Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and green peas masala is ready to serve.
Matar Masala Recipe (Green Peas Curry), Green Peas Masala
Matar Masala Recipe - This is North Indian, restaurant style green peas curry recipe.
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
To grind into puree:
- 2 Tomato roughly chopped
- 5-6 Cashew nuts
For making Green Peas Curry Recipe:
- ½ inch Ginger roughly chopped, (Instead use paste or freshly grated or minced)
- 2 Cloves Garlic roughly chopped, (Instead use paste or freshly grated or minced)
- 1 ½ cups Green peas
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 1 Bay leaf
- 2 Cloves
- 2 Green cardamoms
- 1 Black cardamom
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- ½ cup Onion finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons Red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 3 tablespoons Plain yogurt (Curd or dahi)
- ¾ cup Water
- ½ teaspoon Garam masala
- ½ teaspoon Kasoori methi (Dried fenugreek leaves)
- ¼ teaspoon Green cardamom seeds powder
- 2 tablespoons Heavy whipping cream or fresh cream or malai
- 1 tablespoons Cilantro or coriander leaves finely chopped
Coarsely grind the ginger and garlic into the grinder.
Then make smooth puree of tomatoes and cashews, keep it aside.
On other side, boil plenty of water along with salt. Once it starts boiling add green peas and boil till they are soft and tender.
Making Matar Masala Recipe:
Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add whole spices and cumin seeds, saute for a minute you will notice nice aroma of the spices.
Then add onions and cook till they are soft and translucent.
Now add ginger garlic paste and cook for a minute or till the raw smell of ginger garlic goes away.
Add tomato-cashew puree and cook till all the water evaporates and it becomes thick paste. Do stir in between to make sure that it is not sticking to the bottom of the pan.
Now add salt, red chili powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder, mix and cook for a minute.
Lower the heat and mix in the yogurt immediately.
Add water as per your liking gravy consistency, crank the heat back to medium and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
Now add garam masala, kasoori methi and cardamom seeds powder. Also mix in boiled green peas and cook for 2 minutes.
Lastly add heavy cream and coriander leaves, mix and cook for a minute.
Then turn off the stove and it is ready to serve.