Instant Pot Dalia Recipe – This broken wheat or bulgur pulao is spiced with Indian spices and made more nutritious by adding few vegetables.
There are two types of dalia (broken wheat or bulgur) is available in the store. One is coarse and second is fine. We are using the coarse one also known as ‘fada’. I use fine verity to make Gujarati sweet dishes like lapsi, kansar.
This dalia recipe is hearty, healthy and full of deliciousness. We are making this in electric pressure cooker, instant pot. Though it can be made on stove top with our age old traditional pressure cookers. Method mentioned in the notes below.
- Taste & Texture: Medium spicy, nutty flavor with chewy texture.
- Pros: healthy, light on stomach, full of dietary fiber that helps in easy digestion, ready in 30 minutes.
- Cons: None
You can cut down your rice (veg pulao instant pot) intake by substituting this dalia pulao recipe. This pulao is wise choice compared to white rice which has refined carbohydrate.
I usually make this bulgur pulao as a light dinner or sometimes pack into lunch box. It tastes too good with a small bowl plain yogurt. Or go one step further and make raita like onion tomato raita or cucumber raita.
Other than this dalia recipe, I do make dalia khichdi too.
To make this instant pot dalia, I have use frozen onion tomato masala. It saves some time because no need to saute onions and tomato. So it is just dump and go recipe. Do not have onion tomato masala ready, no worries. The method is mentioned below in notes.
Dalia Recipe (Instant Pot Bulgur Pulao), Dalia Pulao Recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 2 Cloves
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- 5 Black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- ¼ cup Onion Tomato Masala (fresh or frozen) Preferably Chunky version
- 2 cups Chopped vegetables (Peas, carrot, capsicum, potato)
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon Garam masala
- 1 teaspoon Kasoori methi (Dried fenugreek leaves)
- 1 cup Dalia (Fada or Broken wheat or Cracked wheat or Bulgur)
- 1 ¾ cups Water
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
Making Dalia Recipe in Instant Pot:
- Turn on the instant pot with saute mode. Once hot add oil, as soon as oil heats up add whole spices and cumin seeds. Fry for a minute or till you get the nice aroma of the spices.
- Add frozen onion tomato masala, chopped veggies, salt and all the spice powders (red chili, coriander, turmeric, garam masala powder and kasoori methi). Mix well.
- Add dalia, mix and cook for a minute.
- Stir in the water.
- Cover the IP with lid, position the valve to sealing. Cook on manual (high pressure) for 10 minutes.
- Let it NPR (naturally release the pressure), once pin drops open the lid.
- Squeeze the lemon juice or lime juice, mix.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.
To make dalia pulao in stove top pressure cooker: use 2 cups of water and cook for 2 whistles on medium heat.
To make dalia recipe without frozen OTM: after sauteing spices, add ¼ cup chopped onions, 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste and cook till onions become soft and translucent. Then add ½ cup chopped tomatoes and cook till soft. Continue with next steps.