Methi bhaji is healthy yet delicious dry sabji preparation that is served as a side dish with roti or bhakri. This Maharashtrian style methi sabji has very less spices used, so it has dominant fenugreek leaves flavor.
In marathi language it is called methi chi bhaji. Every household has their own version of making this methi bhaji. People make many variations by adding peanuts, coconut, moong dal, potato, onion or besan. Many times I do make methi moong dal sabji, I will share that recipe sometime.
At home I make this sabji by adding some onion along with methi leaves. For spicy taste, I have added green chilies and very very little red chili powder.
Here good amount of garlic is used, but not too much that garlic flavor overpowers. Garlic enhances the taste and flavor of the fenugreek leaves.
How to reduce the bitterness of methi leaves?
Fenugreek leaves has slight bitter taste. If you do not like it then you can follow below steps before making sabji. At home we all like this taste, flavor. So I do not follow.
- Wash the methi leaves, sprinkle some salt over it and let it rest for 15-20 minutes.
- By this time leaves will leave its own water. Squeeze out all the water using your fist.
- Then chop them and use in the recipe.
This leafy green is good because it is packed with many health benefits and nutritions. So I would highly suggest to include them in your diet.
How to make Methi Bhaji Recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Heat the oil in pan on medium heat. Once hot add cumin seeds and let the sizzle.
2) Then add chopped garlic and green chili. Saute for a minute or till the raw smell of garlic goes away.
3) Now add turmeric powder and hing.
4) Mix into the oil.
5) Immediately add chopped onion.
6) Mix and cook till onions are soft and cooked.
7) Add red chili powder and salt.
8) Mix and cook for a minute.
9) Add chopped methi leaves.
10) Mix and cook for 3-4 minutes or till methi leaves get cooked. If do not like the bitter taste of fenugreek leaves so to balance out the taste you can add sugar at this. Personally I prefer the slight bitter taste in my methi bhaji, so I have skipped sugar.
Methi sabji is ready to serve.
Serving suggestion: Serve this methi bhaji with phulka, bajri roti, tandlachi bhakri (rice roti) or plain bhakri. To have complete meal, have pickle, kachumber salad or koshimbir and varan bhaat on side.
Methi Bhaji Recipe (Maharashtrian Methi Sabji)
Learn how to make methi bhaji or methi sabji with this easy method and you will have healthy yet delicious sabji for your roti, paratha, bhakri
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
- 1 ½ tablespoons Oil
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon Garlic finely chopped
- 1 large Green chili finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- ⅛ teaspoon Hing (Asafoetida)
- 1 cup Onion chopped
- Salt to taste
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon Red chili powder
- 2 cups Fenugreek leaves (methi leaves)
- ⅛ teaspoon Sugar optional
Making methi sabji recipe:
- Heat the oil in a pan or kadai on medium heat.
- Once hot add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
- Next fry in chopped garlic and green chili till raw smell of garlic goes away or for a minute.
- Add hing and turmeric powder, immediately add onion.
- Mix and cook till onion gets soft.
- Add salt and red chili powder, mix and cook for a minute.
- Mix in methi leaves and cook for 3-4 minutes or till methi leaves gets cooked.
- If adding sugar then add at this time and stir.
- Transfer to a serving bowl.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 serving