Hot cocoa recipe – creamy, thick, chocolaty and easy to make homemade hot cocoa recipe.
This is the perfect recipe for wintery morning. I would love to have hot cocoa every morning during the whole winter season. But this much sugar every day is not healthy, so I make it occasionally and I stick to my strong coffee for most of the days.
Other than this, sometimes I make hot chocolate too.
Here I have used dutch processed unsweetened cocoa powder (Hershey’s brand). The color and taste of it purely depends on the type and quality of the cocoa powder. So use the best one. I have tried with Ghirardelli cocoa powder as well.
Addition of cornstarch or corn flour makes it thick and creamy. If you don’t care for the thick consistency then you can skip it, taste will be still good.
The procedure of making homemade hot cocoa cannot be simple than this. First mix dry ingredients with touch of milk then boil the milk, add cocoa mix and simmer for few minutes. That’s it. Pour into a mug and enjoy.
Above mentioned amount of sugar makes the cocoa just sweet. If you prefer more sweet then you can increase the quantity accordingly. But start with less, taste and see if you need more or not.
How to make hot cocoa recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Take cocoa powder, sugar and cornstarch in small bowl.
2) Stir well till well combined.
3) add ¼ cup of milk and make smooth paste. Make sure there are no lumps.
4) heat the remaining milk in a pan on medium heat.
5) Once it comes to a boil, add prepared paste.
6) Stir well and make sure that it is mixed properly.
7) Let it simmer for 5-7 minutes on low-medium heat.
8) It will get slightly thick. Turn off the stove.
Let it stand for 6-8 minutes and it will thicken more. And after this resting, it will come to the right drinkable temperature.
Serving suggestion: Enjoy it anytime of the day. I love to have a cup of it on snowy morning.
Hot Cocoa recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
- 1 ½ tablespoons Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ tablespoons Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Corn flour (corn starch)
- 1 ½ cups Milk
- Take cocoa powder, sugar and cornstarch in small bowl. Stir well till well combined.
- add ¼ cup of milk and make smooth paste. Make sure there are no lumps.
- heat the remaining milk in a pan on medium heat.
- Once it comes to a boil, add prepared paste.
- Stir well and make sure that it is mixed properly.
- Let it simmer for 5-7 minutes on low-medium heat. It will get slightly thick.
- Turn off the stove.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 serving