Rajgira Kadhi is very flavorful and very easy to make. This is also quick to make, it will be ready in only 15 minutes. This farali kadhi is made during the Hindu fast or vrat like Navratri, Maha Shivratri, Ekadasi, Jaya Parvati vrat or Janmashtmi.
I have adapted this recipe from Tarla Dalal’s cookbook.
❤️You’ll Love This Recipe
- It gets ready in 15 minutes only.
- It is Gluten-free.
- It tastes so flavorful and very easy to make.
- This is so delicious without any spices!! This was beyond my expectation.
Here is the ingredients you’ll need to make this rajgira kadhi. All the ingredients are suitable for fasting, please read the notes below I shared.
Rajgira atta (Amaranth flour) - In the regular Gujarati kadhi, we use besan as a thickening agent. But here we are using rajgira atta and it works wonderfully perfect. Rajgira atta has a naturally nutty taste with a slight sweetness. Hence not sugar added here.
Yogurt: I would use full-fat whole milk yogurt. If using low-fat or fat-free yogurt then increase the amount of flour.
Green chili: I like my farali kadhi a little on the spicy side, so I have chopped up finely and added. So while eating I get bites of chilies here and there. If you do not prefer to bite into spicy chili then you can slit the chili and add into the kadhi, at the time of serving discard that. So you get its flavor, but not biting it.
Ginger: Many families consume ginger while fasting but some don’t. So please follow your family tradition and based on that add or skip.
Peanuts: These are roasted and crushed, then add into the kadhi. You can skip it, no major changes in the flavor.
Ghee: It adds a nice flavor to the kadhi. Instead, you can use peanut oil for tempering.
👩🍳Step By Step Photo Instructions
1) Take yogurt, rajgira flour and salt in a bowl.
2) Whisk them well, so there are no lumps of flour. Add water to it and mix well.
3) Heat the oil or ghee in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add cumin seeds. Let them sizzle.
4) Then add chopped green chilies and ginger paste. Cook them for 30 seconds.
5) Then add the yogurt mixture and mix immediately, so yogurt will not curdle.
6) Add crushed peanuts. Mix well.
7) Let it come to a boil. Then simmer it for 7-8 minutes or until kadhi thickens and the raw flour taste goes away. Keep stirring every 2 minutes to avoid overflowing.
8) Switch off the stove and finally garnish farali kadhi with chopped cilantro.
🍽 Serving Ideas
- Serve this farali kadhi with sabudana khichdi or moraiyo khichdi. Khichdi and kadhi is the best combo and taste unbelievably awesome. If you have never tried, I highly recommend trying once, I am sure you’ll fall in love with this combo.
- This rajgira kadhi can be served with kuttu ki puri, singhare ki puri or sabudana thalipeeth.
PS Tried this recipe? Please leave a star rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comment section. I always appreciate your feedback! Plus, Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook for all the latest updates.
📋 Recipe Card
Farali Rajgira Kadhi
- 1 cup Plain Yogurt (Dahi or Curd)
- 1 tablespoon Rajgira ka atta (Amaranth flour)
- 2 cups Water
- 2 tablespoons Peanuts crushed
- 1 ½ teaspoon Ghee (clarified butter) or Peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 2 Green chilies chopped finely
- ½ teaspoon Ginger paste or freshly grated or crushed
- Rock salt (sendha namak) to taste
- few sprigs Cilantro or coriander leaves chopped finely
- Take yogurt, rajgira flour and salt in a bowl.
- Whisk them well, so there are no lumps of flour. Add water to it and mix well.
- Heat the oil or ghee in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add cumin seeds. Let them sizzle.
- Then add chopped green chilies and ginger paste. Cook them for 30 seconds.
- Then add the yogurt mixture and mix immediately, so yogurt will not curdle.
- Add crushed peanuts. Mix well.
- Let it come to a boil. Then simmer it for 7-8 minutes or until kadhi thickens and the raw flour taste goes away. Keep stirring every 2 minutes to avoid overflowing.
- Switch off the stove and finally garnish farali kadhi with chopped cilantro.
- You can adjust the green chilies quantity as per your taste.
- If you do not want to bite into chili pieces then you can just slit it into two pieces and add in the recipe.