Vrat ki Rajgira kadhi recipe or Farali kadhi – It is made during the Hindu fast or vrat like Navratri, Maha Shivratri, ekadasi, jaya parvati vrat or janmashtmi.
Rajgira Kadhi is very flavorful and very easy to make. This is also quick to make, it will be ready in only 15 minutes. I have adapted this recipe from Tarla Dalal’s Fasting
When I made first time, I was little worried about this kadhi. I was thinking that how it will turn out, how will it taste. But when I did taste test, I am really surprised. How can be this is so delicious without any spices!! This was beyond my expectation.
Usually for regular kadhi we use besan as thickening agent but in this vrat ki kadhi, I have used rajgira flour. Rajgira or rajgara flour is known as Amaranth flour in English. I do make another kadhi during the fasting – Singhare ki kadhi
I have served this farali kadhi with sabudana khichdi . And this combo is just unbelievably awesome. Before I used to eat sabudana khichadi as such on my fasting days. But after trying this combination, I thought why the hell I haven’t tried this before? If you try it once, believe me you will also fall in love with this combination.
You can adjust the green chilies quantity as per your taste. If you do not want to bite into chili pieces then you can just slit it into two pieces and add in the recipe.
For fasting dishes, after the sabudana and potato, rajgira flour is widely used in our family.
How to make Rajgira kadhi recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Take yogurt in a bowl. add rajgira flour and salt.
2) Whisk them well, so there are no lumps of flour.
3) Add water to it and mix well.
4) Heat the oil or ghee in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add cumin seeds. Let them sizzle.
5) Then add chopped green chilies and ginger paste. Cook them for 30 seconds.
6) Then add yogurt mixture and mix immediately, so yogurt will not curdle.
7) Add crushed peanuts. Mix well.
8) Let it come to a boil. Then simmer it for 7-8 minutes till kadhi thickens and raw flour taste will go away. Keep stirring every 2 minutes.
9) Switch off the stove and finally garnish it with chopped cilantro.
This farali kadhi is ready to serve.
Rajgira kadhi recipe (Farali kadhi recipe), Vrat ki rajgira kadhi
- 1 cup Plain Yogurt (Dahi or Curd)
- 1 tablespoon Rajgira ka atta (Amaranth flour)
- 2 cups Water
- 2 tablespoons Peanuts crushed
- 1 ½ teaspoon Ghee (clarified butter) or Peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 2 Green chilies chopped finely
- ½ teaspoon Ginger paste or freshly grated or crushed
- Rock salt (sendha namak) to taste
- few sprigs Cilantro or coriander leaves chopped finely
making farali kadhi recipe:
- Take yogurt in a bowl. add rajgira flour and salt. Whisk them well, so there are no lumps of flour.
- Add water to it and mix well.
- Heat the oil or ghee in a pan on medium heat.
- Once hot add cumin seeds. Let them sizzle.
- Then add chopped green chilies and ginger paste. Cook them for 30 seconds.
- Then add yogurt mixture and mix immediately, so yogurt will not curdle.
- Add crushed peanuts. Mix well.
- Let it come to a boil. Then simmer it for 7-8 minutes till kadhi thickens. Keep stirring every 2 minutes.
- Switch off the stove
- finally garnish it with chopped cilantro.