Aloo suva sabzi recipe - this is the dry vegetable preparation that goes perfect with phulka roti. But personally I like to eat this as snack. Just give me a bowl of it and fork, I will be very happy.
Suva bhaji is also called shepu bhaji or dill leaves. Just to let you know that this dill leaves have strong flavor and taste. I grew up eating this bhaji, so my palate is used to with its flavor and taste.
But if you are first timer, then start with less quantity. Once you are familiar with it, increase the quantity as per liking.
Addition of lemon juice perks up the flavor. So please do not skip it.
Just like other dill leaves recipes, this is also my mom’s recipe.
There are many health benefits of this shepu bhaji. It is good for digestion and also helps to reduce the cholesterol and body weight. So one should include in his/her diet.
Check out more sabzi recipes with aloo
Sem aloo // Aloo beans // Aloo tindora // Aloo patta gobi
How to make aloo suva sabzi recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add cumin seeds. Let them sizzle.
2) Then add ginger paste and green chilies. Saute for 30-40 seconds or till the raw smell of ginger goes away.
3) Add potatoes and mix.
4) Add turmeric powder, red chili powder and salt.
5) Mix well. And make sure that potatoes are coated with masala.
6) Cover the pan.
7) And cook till potatoes are 80% cooked. Since I have used non stick pan and potatoes were in single layer, I got few them nice and crisp. If you have used kadai or wok and if potatoes are overcrowded then they might get steamed and you will get soft potatoes. Both ways it tastes good, it’s about the preferences.
8) Add chopped dill leaves.
9) Mix well and cook till potatoes are cooked completely.
10) Squeeze fresh lemon juice and mix. It is ready to serve.
Serving suggestion: Serve with roti or paratha. It can be served as a side dish with your dal-chawal.
Aloo suva sabzi recipe (Potatoes with dill leaves)
- 1 ½ tablespoons Oil
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon Ginger paste or freshly grated or crushed
- 1 Green chili chopped finely
- 2 medium or 2 cups Potatoes cubed
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- ¾ cup Dill leaves (sephu bhaji or suva bhaji) chopped
- 2 teaspoons Lemon juice
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Once hot add cumin seeds. Let them sizzle.
- Then add ginger paste and green chilies. Saute for 30-40 seconds
- Add potatoes and mix.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder and salt. Mix well.
- Cover the pan. And cook till potatoes are 80% cooked.
- Add chopped dill leaves.
- Mix well and cook till potatoes are cooked completely.
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice and mix.
- Turn off the stove
Tried it today ! Turned out great !
I have another dill subji idea for you. Chop dill, spinach, pumpkin and carrots into big chunks. Put them all into a pan to cook with very lil water. Grind cumin, fresh coconut and green chillies. Add this to the pan with some coconut milk. Tres good ! If you make it watery it can be a soup else best with rice.
Glad to hear that you liked it.
I like your recipe, I will try it sometime. Thanks for sharing with me.
tried it today... its was toooooo good.. healthy n tasty... thanks alot... everyone loved it...
glad to hear that you liked it.