Bombay Vegetable grilled sandwich … yes you heard it right. I am so excited to share this recipe with you guys. It tastes exactly same as stall one.
This is not only famous in Mumbai streets but you will see many sandwich stalls all over the India. I am making grilled sandwich since last 6 months. But I never get the right taste or you can say that the flavor punch in it just like the stalls does. Finally I read this method of making sandwich in Tarla Dalal’s Cookbook “Mumbai Roadside Snacks". And it worked liked a charm. From now dear husband always wants to eat homemade vegetable grilled sandwich.
What is unique about this method? – sprinkling sandwich masala on each layer of vegetable. This method gives lot of flavor to the sandwich.
Coriander-mint chutney is also plays equal roll along with masala to flavor or spice up the sandwich.
How To Make Bombay Veg Grilled Sandwich?
1) Dry roast all the whole spices (cumin seeds, cloves, peppercorns, cinnamon stick and fennel seeds) for masala on medium heat. Keep stirring continuously. You will get nice aroma from spices and that time they are roasted. Remove it to plate and let it cool completely.
2) Once cooled, take them into the grinder along with black salt and amchur powder. Grind into a fine powder and keep it aside.
3) Let’s prepare chutney and veggies. Take all the chutney ingredients in the grinder along with very little water and make smooth puree. Remove it to a bowl and keep it aside. Quick tip: always add water first to the grinder and then other ingredients for easy grinding.
4) Keep all the elements ready before start assembling it. Heat the grill pan on medium heat. While it is heating assemble the sandwich.
5) Spread the butter on three slices. Spread generously, so bread will not become soggy after spreading chutney.
6) Now spread about 1 ½ teaspoon of chutney on each slices.
7) Now place few sliced of potatoes in single layer. Sprinkle some sandwich masala.
8) next cucumber slices and sprinkle masala.
9) Now arrange onion slices and sprinkle masala.
10) close the sandwich with another bread slice. Then place sliced capsicum and sprinkle some masala on top.
11) Next tomato slices and sprinkle some masala.
12) Lastly grated cheese and again sprinkle some masala.
13) Close with last bread slice, chutney side down.
14) Ok now grill pan is ready. Carefully put the sandwich on grill pan. Lightly press it with spatula, so all the layers get stick to each other, I mean they won’t fall apart when you bite into it. My grill pan is already seasoned well so I haven't buttered. But if yours pan is not seasoned or using grill machine then I would suggest apply some butter on outer part of the bread as well in order to make to crispy.
15) Once grilled from one side, carefully flip it. What I do – remove it to the plate and put the other side down by lifting the sandwich by hand. Flipping with spatula is little tricky, as layers or veggies might get fall.
16) Grill from both sides and remove it to plate.
17) Slice it with sharp knife or bread knife. Make sure that filling does not come out. And serve right away with more chutney or ketchup.
18) Repeat the same for rest sandwiches. You can start assembling next one while first it grilling. Or assemble two at a time and grill both together and continue the same.
Once you make this Bombay Vegetable Grilled Sandwich at home, I bet you will never go outside to eat it. If you add cheese to it then it will be Vegetable grilled cheese sandwich. I have added cheese here. It is optional. Make it however you liked it.
NOTE: I have used grill pan. Instead of this you can use grill machine or panini press. Or simply use pan, lightly grease it and toast on both sides. By using pan, you will not get grill effect, but the inside taste will be same and delicious. So use whatever you have at home to make this sandwich. Grilling makes the bread golden crispy which I love.
Serving suggestion: serve as a snack with any drink or juice. Also serve with some chips or fries on side.
Did you try this vegetable grilled sandwich recipe? I’d love to hear about it! Leave a review in the comment section below.
Adapted from - Mumbai's Roadside Snacks by Tarla Dalal
Bombay Vegetable Grilled Sandwich
For Sandwich Masala:
- 2 tablespoons Cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon Cloves
- ½ inch Cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon Black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon Fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon Black salt (Kala namak)
- ½ teaspoon Amchur powder (dried mango powder)
- 1 cup Mint leaves
- 1 cup Cilantro or coriander leaves
- 2-3 Green chilies or to taste
- ¼ inch Ginger
- ¼ teaspoon Black salt (Kala namak)
- ½ teaspoon Chaat masala
- 1 ½ teaspoon Lemon juice
For Grilled Sandwiches:
- 12 slices Bread
- Butter as required
- 2 small Potatoes boiled and sliced
- 1 medium Cucumber sliced
- 1 medium Red onion sliced
- ½ medium Capsicum (Green bell pepper) sliced
- 2 small Tomato sliced
- 1 cup Cheese grated (optional)
Making Sandwich Masala:
- Dry roast the whole spices for masala on medium-low heat with stirring constantly.
- As you get the nice aroma of the roasted spices, turn off the stove and remove it to plate to cool completely.
- Once cooled take into the grinder jar along with black salt and amchur powder and make into fine powder. Keep it aside.
- Take all the chutney ingredients in the grinder along with very little water and make smooth puree.
- Remove it to a bowl and keep it aside.
- Keep all the veggies, cheese, chutney, bread, butter and sandwich masala ready before start assembling it.
- Heat the grill pan on medium heat. While it is heating assemble the sandwich.
- take 3 bread slices for one sandwich. Spread butter and chutney on each slices.
- Now place the vegetables in this order: potato, cucumber, onion, second bread slice, capsicum, tomato, cheese. Don't forget to sprinkle sandwich masala on each and every vegetable layer.
- Lastly close with last bread slice, chutney side down.
- Place the sandwich carefully on the grill pan or machine and grill till it is crispy and golden brown.
- Then flip and grill other side as well. If using machine then no need to flip as it grills both sides at the same time.
- Remove it to a plate and slice into half serve.
- Repeat the same for rest sandwiches.