Butterscotch sauce recipe – the BEST and EASY homemade butterscotch sauce recipe. Take your ice cream sundae to another level by drizzling this warm/chilled sauce over it.
This sauce is smooth, rich, sweet with melt in your mouth texture. This texture comes from the good amount of butter.
In past years, I used buy the ready made jar of butterscotch sauce. That time I was not that worried or I could say I was not much conscious about what I am eating. But as I grew, I gained knowledge and learnt many things.
Among them, the one is NEVER consume stuff which has high fructose corn syrup. Since then I have been making many recipes at home. And one of them is this sauce and second is chocolate sauce.
Recently my husband went to Germany and over there he came to know that corn syrup is banned in Europe. For whatever reason it is banned but it is good for people for SURE.
There is one more benefit of having the homemade one that it tastes much much better than the jar one.
Give this a try and enjoy as an ice cream topping.
How to make butterscotch sauce recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Take butter in a saucepan and turn the heat on medium.
2) Let the butter get melted.
3) Then add brown sugar. Here I have used light brown sugar.
4) Add salt. If using salted butter then skip the salt here otherwise salt in must.
5) Also add heavy cream.
6) Mix well and let the sugar get dissolved.
7) Bring this mixture to a boil.
8) And let it boil for 5 minutes. Stir once or twice in between.
9) Then turn off the stove. Add vanilla extract.
10) Mix well. As it cools it will thicken slightly.
Once cools completely, you can store in airtight container in the refrigerator for about 2-3 weeks. At the time of serving reheat in microwave to make the sauce runny consistency again.
Butterscotch sauce recipe
- ¼ cup Unsalted butter half stick or 2 oz or 56 grams
- ½ cup Light brown sugar packed
- ½ cup Heavy whipping cream
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ½ tablespoon Pure vanilla extract
How to make butterscotch sauce recipe
- Take butter in a saucepan and turn the heat on medium. Let the butter get melted.
- Then add brown sugar. Here I have used light brown sugar.
- Add salt. If using salted butter then skip the salt here otherwise salt in must.
- Also add heavy cream. Mix well and let the sugar get dissolved.
- Bring this mixture to a boil.
- And let it boil for 5 minutes. Stir once or twice in between.
- Then turn off the stove.
- Add vanilla extract. Mix well.
Recipe is from Smitten kitchen