Papaya Sambharo Recipe for Fafda, Gathiya - It is made from raw/unripe papaya. It is also called Kacha papaya no sambharo where kacha means unripe in Gujarati.
There are few different methods to make this kacha papaya no sambharo.
1) cooked one where grated papaya is sauted with green chilies and few spices. It is usually served warm.
2) uncooked one where grated papaya is just mixed with spices and salt. The simplest version and my favorite.
3) sweet one where the method is same as first one, but it has sugar and coriander added. Sometimes little grated carrot is also added. I and hubby do not like this one.
So here I have shared the first two methods and not third one.
Snacks like fafda, gathiya do not taste good without this side dish.
How to make Papaya Sambharo Recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) First we are making the cooked version. Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds and let them pop.
2) Then add green chillies.
3) Fry them with turning them till they get blisters on the surface.
4) Now add hing and turmeric powder.
5) Immediately add grated papaya.
6) Mix roughly and add salt.
7) Again mix very well till the turmeric is coated evenly.
8) Cook for 3-4 minutes or till the papaya is 70-80% cooked but not mushy. As it gets cooked, turmeric will get its dark color. Turn off the stove.
1) Now to make raw and uncooked version, Take grated papaya in a bowl. Add salt and red chili powder.
2) Mix thoroughly till chili powder is coated evenly and it is ready to serve.
Serving suggestion: This papaya sambharo is served as a side with fafda and verity of gathiya like bhavnagari gathiya, papdi gathiya, vanela gathiya etc. Apart from this it can be served on side as a salad along with your meal.
Papaya Sambharo Recipe for Fafda, Gathiya (Raw/Kacha Papaya no Sambharo)
For cooked version:
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- ½ teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 2-3 Green chilies (Make a vertical cut only and keep them whole)
- ⅛ teaspoon Hing (Asafoetida)
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 ½ cups Raw/Unripe papaya (peel the skin, seeds removed and grated)
- Salt to taste
For raw version:
- 1 cup Raw/Unripe papaya (peel the skin, seeds removed and grated)
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon Red chili powder , Increase the quantity if you like spicy
Making Papaya Sambharo:
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds and let them pop.
- Then add green chillies and fry till all sides have fried blisters.
- Then add hing and turmeric powder, immediately add grated papaya and mix.
- Now add salt and mix well, cook for 3-4 minutes or till papaya is partially cooked.
- Then turn off the stove.
- For method 2, it is very simple. Just mix grated papaya, salt and red chili powder in a bowl and it is ready.