Fafda chutney is made from besan and procedure is little similar to kadhi method. So it is also called kadhi chutney recipe.
The addition of mint leaves and coriander leaves adds very refreshing flavor. The spicy taste is coming from green chilies.
This fafda chutney has slight tang, zing to it and it comes from citric acid. If your yogurt is sour then reduce the citric acid amount.
This chutney is usually served with fafda, gathiya and cholafali. When we buy fafda, gathiya from farsan shop they will also pack complementary chutney.
The store bought one is yellowish white in color. Because they add coarsely grind green chilies vs I have pureed here and it makes my chutney greenish in color. Also they add lesser amount of green chilies vs I have added here.
And on top of that they add white pepper powder for real spicy kick which I have skipped here. The spicy taste from white pepper powder makes you sweaty, sometimes aching ears and heartburn. That’s why I have skipped it and instead added little more amount of green chilies.
Step By Step Photo Instructions:
1) Take coriander leaves, mint leaves, chopped ginger and green chilies into the grinder along with 1 tablespoon of water.
2) Make puree smooth or coarse depending on your liking texture. We do not like to bite into green chilies, so I have made smooth puree.
3) Now in a bowl, take besan, yogurt, salt, black salt and citric acid.
4) Mix well till there are no lumps.
5) Now add water.
6) And stir to make thin batter. Keep it aside.
7) Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds and let them pop.
8) Now add hing.
9) Immediately add yogurt besan mixture and stir.
10) Add turmeric powder.
11) Stir well and let it come to a boil. Keep stirring with spatula or spoon so the yogurt doesn't curdle.
12) Once it starts boiling, let it simmer for 2-3 minutes. It will become thick.
13) Now turn off the stove. Add prepared green puree.
14) Mix well and it is ready to serve.
Did you try this fafda chutney recipe? I’d love to hear about it! Leave a review in the comment section below.
📋 Recipe Card
Fafda Chutney (Kadhi Chutney For Cholafali, Gathiya)
- 2 tablespoons Cilantro or coriander leaves
- 2 tablespoons Mint leaves
- 2 inch Ginger roughly chopped
- 4 Green chilies roughly chopped
- ¼ cup Plain Yogurt (dahi or curd)
- 2 tablespoon Besan (gram flour)
- Salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Black salt (Kala namak)
- ⅛ teaspoon Citric acid (nimboo ful)
- 1 ½ cups Water
- 2 teaspoons Oil
- ½ teaspoon Mustard seeds
- ⅛ teaspoon Hing (Asafoetida)
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- Make smooth or coarse paste using coriander leaves, mint leaves, ginger and green chilies.
- In a bowl, mix besan, yogurt, salt, black salt and citric acid. Make lump free mixture.
- Then make thin batter by adding water and keep it aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds and let them pop.
- Then add hing and immediately mix in yogurt-besan mixture.
- Add turmeric powder, mix and let the mixture come to a boil. After that let it simmer for 2-3 minutes or till it becomes thick.
- Then turn off the stove and mix in green paste.