Rajma Sundal Recipe – Just like other sundal varieties, it a salad kind of quick stir-fry dish. Here boiled red kidney beans are sauteed with few whole spices and lastly garnished with fresh coconut.
For making any sundal recipe, one important thing to keep in mind. Never overcook the beans that they get mushy. They should be cooked and soft yet hold their shape.
Sundals are popular during Navratri festival in Tamil households who keep the golu and offer this as neivedyam. These sundals are made with different legumes/beans e.g.
Since this makes healthy, light snack, it should not be restricted to Navratri only. You can make on any day of the year and enjoy.
How to make Rajma Sundal Recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Wash the rajma under running cold water or rinse them 2-3 times.
2) Soak them in enough water for 8 hours or overnight. They will get bigger in size after soaking.
3) Discard the soaking water, take rajma and fresh 1 ½ cups of water in pressure cooker. Cover with lid and put the weight on. Cook them for 1 whistle on High + 10 minutes on Low-Medium heat. Let the pressure go down by itself then open the lid.
4) Drain the cooking water using strainer. Keep boiled rajma aside.
5) Take ginger, green chili and 5 curry leaves in a grinder.
6) Make coarse paste out of it. Alternately you can use mortar and pestle.
7) Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds and let them pop.
8) Then add urad dal and saute till it turns light brown in color.
9) Then add prepared chili-ginger-curry leaves paste and cook for 30 seconds.
10) Now add curry leaves and dried red chili. Saute for 30-40 seconds.
11) Add drained rajma and salt.
12) Mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
13) Now add coconut.
14) Mix well and cook for a minute. Then turn off the stove.
Serving suggestion: This rajma sundal is offered to God and then distributed amongst the devotees during festivals like Navratri, Ganesh Chaturthi, Janmashtami. This can be a light snack or a side dish with your meal.
Rajma Sundal Recipe (How to make Red Kidney Beans Sundal)
US measuring cups are used (1 cup = 240 ml)
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
For coarse paste:
- ¼ inch Ginger
- 1 Green chili
- 5 Curry leaves
For Rajma Sundal Recipe:
- ½ cup Rajma (Red kidney beans)
- 1 ½ cups Water for pressure cooking
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- ½ teaspoon Mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon Urad dal (split, skinless black gram)
- 1 Dried red chilies
- 8-10 Curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons Coconut (fresh or frozen) grated
Wash and soak the rajma overnight or at least 8 hours. After the soaking time, discard the water.
Take rajma and fresh 1 ½ cups of water to the pressure cooker and cook for 1 whistle on high and then lower the heat to low-medium and cook for another 10 minutes.
Open the lid once pressure releases naturally and check the rajma by pressing, it should be soft.
Drain the cooking water and keep boiled rajma aside.
While they are pressure cooking, make the coarse paste of ginger, green chili and curry leaves using grinder or mortar-pestle.
Making Rajma Sundal Recipe:
Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot mustard seeds, as they pop add urad dal and saute till they turn light brown in color.
Now add prepared coarse paste, curry leaves and dried red chili, cook for 30-40 seconds.
Then mix in boiled rajma and salt, cook for 2 minutes.
Lastly mix in grated coconut and cook for a minute. Then turn off the stove.
It is ready to serve.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 serving