Chana Sundal Recipe – Boiled white chickpeas are stir fried with coconut and few basic spices. This sundal is usually made during navratri, ganesh chaturthi festivals.
If you are regular reader then you might know that chole or kabuli chana is one of our favorite beans at home. Anything made with this always welcomed and this chickpeas sundal is also one of them.
This is the quick snack recipe if you have boiled chickpeas ready. Then stir frying takes only 5-7 minutes. And a healthy snack is ready.
Usually the chopped or grated raw mango is added. Since it is not available, lemon juice or amchur powder can be used as a substitute. Here I have used amchur powder which gives very slight tang to it.
Try adding black pepper powder along with salt. I tastes too good, trust me.
How to make Chana Sundal Recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Wash the chana under running cold water till water runs clear. Then soak in enough water for 8 hours or overnight.
2) You can see after soaking they get doubled in size. Discard this soaking water.
3) Take chana and fresh 1 ¼ cup of water in pressure cooker. Add pinch of baking soda. Cover with the lid, put the weight on. Cook for 2 whistles on HIGH, then 15 minutes on LOW heat. Let the pressure go down by itself then open the lid.
4) Drain the cooking water.
5) Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds, let them pop.
6) Then add urad dal.
7) Saute with stirring constantly till they are golden brown in color.
8) Now add chopped green chili, dried red chili, curry leaves and hing.
9) Add boiled chana and salt.
10) Mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
11) Now add coconut.
12) Mix well and cook for a minute.
13) Lastly add amchur powder.
14) Mix well and turn off the stove.
Serving suggestion: This chana sundal is offered to God as naivedyam during Navratri, Janmashtami, ganesh chaturthi festival. It can be served as a snack or side dish with meal.
Chana Sundal Recipe (How to make Chickpeas Sundal Recipe)
- ½ cup Dried white chickpeas (Chole or kabuli chana or safed chana)
- 1 ½ cups Water for pressure cooking
- ⅛ teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- ½ teaspoon Mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon Urad dal (split, skinless black gram)
- 1 Green chili chopped finely
- 1 Dried red chilies
- 8-10 Curry leaves
- 1 pinch Hing (Asafoetida)
- Salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons Coconut (fresh or frozen), grated
- ½ teaspoon Amchur powder (dried mango powder) **alternately use 2 tablespoons chopped or grated raw mango OR 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
Pressure cooking chana:
- Wash and soak the chana for 8 hours or overnight.
- Then discard the soaking water, take chana with fresh water and pinch of baking into pressure cooker.
- Cover the cooker with lid, put the weight on and cook for 2 whistles on high + 15 minutes on Low.
- Once pressure releases naturally, open the cooker lid. Drain the cooking water and keep the chana aside.
Making Chana Sundal Recipe:
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds and let them pop.
- Then saute in urad dal till they are golden brown in color.
- Now add green chili, red chili, curry leaves and hing.
- Then mix in boiled chana and salt, cook for 2 minutes.
- Add coconut, mix and cook for a minute.
- Lastly mix in amchur powder and turn off the stove.