Capsicum rice recipe – Basmati rice are cooked with colored bell pepper, onion, yogurt and with few spices. Do give it a try, I am sure you will love this.
This rice dish is very flavorful and delicious. I got this recipe from one of my friends. The first time I made this rice was an year ago. Since then I have made it so many times.
I like about this capsicum rice is addition of yogurt. Yogurt gives a touch of sourness to the end product. And of course this flavor goes perfect with spices and bell peppers.
Capsicum masala rice is perfect as a lunch box. This rice is so delicious as such without any side of raita. Thus dear hubby like to have it in his lunch box once in a while. If making for kids lunch box then adjust the red chili powder.
Addition of whole spices make this rice aromatic and also adds lots of flavors.
I usually make this with only green bell pepper. But this time I have added red bell pepper as well. I have left half of the red bell pepper after making paneer tikka masala. So though of adding it into this capsicum masala rice. While chopping the bell peppers and onion, I was thinking that how beautiful rice will look because of the colored bell pepper. And so this is the right time to takes photos for the blog. So finally I took photos and posting it here, even though I made it so many times before.
Capsicum or bell pepper is one of our favorite veggies along with cabbage and cauliflower that I always have it in my fridge. Some of the capsicum recipes that are regular in my kitchen — Punjabi Capsicum Curry — Gobi shimla mirch — Bhindi capsicum — corn capsicum masala.
How to make capsicum rice recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Wash the rice under running cold water till water runs clear. Soak them in enough water for at least 20 minutes.
2) While rice soaking prep other ingredients and chop the veggies. Drain soaking water and keep the rice aside.
3) Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add whole spices (cinnamon stick, cloves, bay leaf, green cardamom), saute for a minute. You will get nice aroma of spices.
4) After that add cumin seeds and fennel seeds, let the sizzle a bit.
5) Now mix in the sliced onion and cook for 2 minutes. it starts to soften.
6) Now add ginger paste and garlic paste.
7) Mix and saute till raw flavors goes away about a minute.
8) Stir in tomatoes, green bell pepper and red bell pepper.
9) Add salt, red chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala.
10) Mix well and cook for a minute.
11) Add yogurt.
12) Stir well.
13) Add soaked, drained rice.
14) Add fresh 1 cup of water and mix.
15) Cover the pan and cook on low for 18-20 minutes. after that switch off the stove and let it rest covered for 10 minutes.
16) Then open the cover, gently fluff up the rice using fork and serve.
Do make this in your kitchen and please let me know how you like it in comments below. If you like bell pepper than I am sure that you will like this rice as well.
- 2/3 cup Basmati rice
- 1 ½ tablespoons Oil
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- 2 Cloves
- 1 Bay leaf
- 2 Green cardamoms
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon Fennel seeds
- ½ cup Onion sliced
- 1 teaspoon Ginger paste or freshly grated or crushed
- 1 teaspoon Garlic paste or freshly grated
- ½ cup Capsicum (Green bell pepper) sliced
- ½ cup Red pepper sliced
- 1/3 cup Tomato sliced
- 1 ½ teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon Garam masala
- 1/3 cup Plain yogurt
- 1 cup Water
- Wash the rice under running cold water till water runs clear.
- Soak them in enough water for at least 20 minutes.
- While rice soaking prep other ingredients and chop the veggies.
- Drain soaking water and keep the rice aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add whole spices, saute for a minute.
- After that add cumin seeds and fennel seeds, let the sizzle a bit.
- Now mix in the sliced onion and cook for 2 minutes. it starts to soften.
- Now add ginger paste and garlic paste. Mix and saute for about a minute.
- Stir in tomatoes, green bell pepper and red bell pepper.
- Add salt, red chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala.
- Mix well and cook for a minute.
- Add yogurt. Stir well.
- Add soaked, drained rice. Also add 1 cup of water and mix.
- Cover the pan and cook on low for 18-20 minutes.
- after that switch off the stove and let it rest covered for 10 minutes.
- Then open the cover, gently fluff up the rice using fork and serve.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 serving