Badam milk recipe or kesar badam milk – Very refreshing and nourishing drink recipe. It is thickened with almond paste and flavored with saffron.
This recipe is very quick to make, if you have pre-planned it and soaked the almonds ahead of time. Only 5-10 minutes of cooking time is required and will have flavorful milk ready. at home we call it badam doodh.
The flavors come from cardamom powder, saffron and rosewater. Here I have skipped the cardamom powder since he is not fan of it. But addition of rose water sure makes it refreshing.
After reading health benefits of almonds below, You can say this recipe is good for growing kids as well as adults (of course if taken in moderation). The sugar quantity can be reduced if making for kids.
This badam milk is rich with creamy texture. Addition of sliced almonds on top gives slight crunch in the texture.
— Milk: Here I have used whole milk. But you can use fat free, 1%, 2% or low fat whatever you have available.
— Almonds: Here I have soaked the almonds for 7-8 hours and then peeled and discard the skin. As per Ayurveda, almond skin is slightly tough to digest. Also soaking the almonds help to digest easily. Instead of soaking, you can blanch them. But soaking is more preferred method.
Almonds are good source of Vitamin E, calcium, magnesium and potassium along with protein and fiber.
My mom always says that almonds are good for improving memory power. It is true as per Ayurveda, eating soaked almonds every morning helps to enhance your memory.
How to make kesar badam milk recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Take almonds and cashews in a bowl. Add water and soak them for about 7-8 hours. You can soak them overnight as well.
2) After the soaking time, drain the nuts. Peel the almonds. The skin will pop out without any effort. Do the same for all the almonds.
3) Save about 4-5 almonds for garnishing and take remaining peeled almonds and cashews in a grinder. Add ¼ cup of milk.
4) Make smooth paste out of it. If needed you can add little more milk.
5) Now take remaining 2 cups of milk in a sauce pan or patila. Turn the heat on medium. Add ground almond paste.
6) And stir well.
7) Now crush the saffron between your fingers and add into the milk.
8) Also add sugar.
9) Let it come to a boil and then simmer for 5-6 minutes. Do stir occasionally and stay right there. Milk have tendency to flow over, so be careful. While it is simmering, slice the almonds that we kept aside. After simmering time turn off the stove.
10) Now add cardamom powder, if using. Stir well. (I have skipped the cardamom powder.) Also add rose water and mix well.
Let the milk comes to warm temperature then serve. It can be served chilled. For that, once milk comes to room temperature then chill in the refrigerator. Pour into serving glass, garnish with sliced almonds and serve.
Serving suggestion: this badam milk is usually served to guests on special occasions like wedding or festivals. Other than special occasions, this can be served on regular day once in awhile. This kesar badam milk can be served chilled or warm, it’s all about the preferences. I prefer warm during the winter months and chilled during the summer months.
Badam milk recipe (Kedar badam doodh recipe)
- 2 ¼ cups Milk
- 15-20 Almonds
- 4-5 Cashew nuts optional
- ½ cup Water for soaking nuts
- ¼ teaspoon Green cardamom seeds powder optional
- Saffron (Kesar) few strands
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Rose water
- Take almonds and cashews in a bowl.
- Add water and soak them for about 7-8 hours. You can soak them overnight as well.
- After the soaking time, drain the nuts.
- Peel the almonds. The skin will pop out without any effort. Do the same for all the almonds.
- Save about 4-5 almonds and take remaining peeled almonds and cashews in a grinder. Add ¼ cup of milk.
- Make smooth paste out of it. If needed you can add little more milk.
Making badam milk recipe:
- Now take remaining 2 cups of milk in a sauce pan or patila.
- Turn the heat on medium.
- Add ground almond paste and stir well.
- Now crush the saffron between your fingers and add into the milk. Also add sugar.
- Let it come to a boil and then simmer for 5-6 minutes. Do stir occasionally and stay right there. Then turn off the stove.
- Now add cardamom powder, if using. Stir well.
- Also add rose water and mix well.
- Pour into serving glass, garnish with sliced almonds and serve.