Nimbu pani recipe – Simple Indian lemonade made very quickly and easily. It is refreshing, hydrating and gives instant energy.
When it comes to health benefits of this drink, it helps to fight against the heat stroke during the hot summer days. It helps to hydrate your body. It also restores body salt after exercise or any physical activity. That’s why it is good idea to give it to the kids after their outdoor playtime.
The straight translation of nimbu pani is lemon water aka lemonade. Nimbu is also known as limbu in India. So this drink is called limbu pani as well.
This is healthy summer beverage recipe compared to drinking carbonated drinks. Since lemon juice is added it has high concentration of Vitamin C.
Whether it’s summer or not, I like to enjoy a glass of chilled nimbu pani any time of the year.
Every region has their own version of lemonade. There is a similar recipe made in North India and it is known as Shikanji in which cumin powder, ginger juice etc. are added. While today’s version is simple and made with only lemon juice, sugar, salt and water.
You might get clear or light colored nimbu pani. It depends on what type of sugar you use. If you use white sugar then you may get clear pani. Here I have used maple sugar, hence this color.
How to make nimbu pani recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) First cut the lemon into half and squeeze all the juice. Here I have extra large sized lemon which won’t fit into my lemon squeezer. So I will be using fork to get the maximum juice out of it. Take a large jug or measuring cup, put the strainer over it to catch the pulp and seeds of lemon.
2) Now squeeze the lemon and at the same time using the fork, move it into the lemon back and forth which will help to get the juice easily without any effort.
3) Once you finish juicing, discard the pulp and seeds.
4) Into the lemon juice, add sugar. Here I have used natural sugar which is maple sugar.
5) Also add salt as per your taste. Start with less, you can always add more if needed later on.
6) Add black salt.
7) Add chilled water.
8) Using spoon keep stirring till all the sugar is dissolved. It may take few minutes.
Once the sugar is dissolved, pour into the serving glasses. If you have not used chilled water then add few ice cubes in it. If you want, you can garnish with mint leave and serve.
Serving suggestion: Enjoy this as a thirst quencher during hot summer days.
Nimbu pani recipe (Indian lemonade)
- 3-4 tablespoons Lemon juice ~ from 1 extra large lemon
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- Salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Black salt (kala namak)
- 2 ½ cups Chilled water
- 5-6 Ice cubes optional
- few Mint leaves for garnishing
Making nimbu pani recipe:
- First cut the lemon into half and squeeze all the juice.
- Into the lemon juice, add sugar and black salt.
- Add chilled water.
- Using spoon keep stirring till all the sugar is dissolved. It may take few minutes.
- Once the sugar is dissolved, pour into the serving glasses.
- If you have not used chilled water then add few ice cubes in it.