Punjabi Sweet Lassi Recipe - A classic, traditional beverage for hot summer days. Nowadays it is not only popular in Punjab or North India but all over India.
What is lassi?
Punjabi Lassi is the sweet, creamy, thick and frothy yogurt-based drink. It is enjoyed all around the year, but most preferred during hot summer days. The heat from the sun and spicy Indian cuisine make you sweat and that time this yogurt based drink will help your body to cool. You know yogurt has natural cooling properties.
How to make Lassi (Step by Step Photos):
- Take the yogurt and sugar in a bowl. Always use fresh, chilled and thick curd, do not use watery part and sour yogurt.
- Now using wooden churner (Madani or valonu), beat it very well or till the sugar dissolves completely. Alternately you can use a wire whisk or hand blender.
- And yogurt will get smooth and slightly frothy.
- Now add cardamom powder.
- Also, add rose water
- And add ½ cup of chilled water.
- Again churn or whisk it till becomes frothy.
- You can see the good froth on top. That is the perfect lassi.
- Pour into serving glass. Garnish with a little sprinkle of cardamom powder or sliced pistachios or saffron (kesar).
If serving it right away or immediately then always use chilled yogurt and chilled water/milk. Or you can make it ahead of time and let it chill in the fridge for a few hours before serving.
Traditional sweet lassi
How to make lassi thick and creamy?
To make really thick lassi, always use less liquid vs yogurt amount. Because it is thick in consistency, it is heavy and filling. But if you prefer thin and light version then add more liquid (water or milk).
Lassi Recipe (How to make Punjabi Sweet Lassi)
- 2 cups Plain Yogurt (Dahi or Curd), chilled and not sour
- 3-4 tablespoons Sugar
- ½ cup Water or Milk (chilled)
- ¼ teaspoon Green cardamom seeds powder
- ½ teaspoon Rose water
- Take yogurt and sugar in a bowl and start beating using wooden churner aka madani or wire whisk till sugar dissolves.
- Then add cardamom powder, rose water and chilled water.
- Again beat it till it becomes frothy.
- Pour into serving glass, garnish with little cardamom powder and serve.