Magaj or magas recipe – Gujarati style of making besan burfi. It is made from ghee, coarse chickpea flour and sugar.
Instead of setting it in a burfi form, you can also make ladoo as well. I have mentioned the steps in the instructions. It is just the matter of shape. Taste and texture will be same.
You will get grainy texture in every bite because of the coarse chickpea flour. Yes traditionally coarse variety is used to make magas. The procedure is almost same as besan ladoo. Only difference is the flour used. While making besan ladoo, regular besan (gram flour) used unlike magaj.
Coarse chickpea flour – for those who doesn’t know, there is special chickpea flour only for magaj. In India, you will find it very easily. Here in USA, it says ‘maghaj flour’ on packet. For your reference here is the one that I bought from Indian grocery store. If you are not able to find it in your area, you can use regular besan (gram flour) as well. But the texture and taste will be different. [If using besan: mix 1 tablespoon of melted ghee in 1 cup chickpea flour. Rub it with your fingertips. Keep it aside for 15 minutes. Then pass it through fine sieve to create grainy texture. And use in recipe.
As a child I have enjoyed Diwali festival most. I was always waiting for this festival for two reasons. one is I will get big holiday vacation in the school and second it I will get to eat snacks and sweets. My mom always makes few sweets at home like this magas, gulab jamun, coconut ladoo and nankhatai.
Today I am sharing mom’s recipe of making magas. She makes the big batch and keep in the fridge. As this has good 15 days shelf life if stored in the fridge.
How to make besan burfi or magaj recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Grease tray or plate (in which you are going to set the burfis) with little ghee.
2) Heat the ghee in pan on medium-low heat.
3) Once hot add chickpea flour.
4) And sauté it with stirring continuously till flour becomes golden brown.
5) It will take about 4-5 minutes. You will get nice aroma of the toasted flour. Ghee will starts to ooze out from the sides. Also it gets slight dark brown color.
6) When done turn off the stove.
7) Add sugar.
8) Mix very well.
9) Add cardamom powder and nutmeg powder.
10) Mix it well again.
11) Transfer the mixture into greased tray and spread it evenly. (I have used 5×3 inches plastic container. I will get 6 pieces out of this and kept some mixture to make ladoo. Just because I wanted show you that you can make ladoo out of it as well.)
12) garnish it with the almonds.
13) Let it cool for about 30 minutes to 1 hour. And ladoo mixture is also cooled enough in 30 minutes to form ladoo. Shape into ladoo with using your palms. Once cooled completely. Then slice it with sharp knife.
14) Remove them very gently without breaking it. First piece is always hard to remove. But lucky me, I removed it without breaking.
15) Serve them right away or store in the container.
Many prefers to have it warm magaj. But I like it at room temperature.
Serving suggestion: It usually served as a sweet (1 piece per person) along with the meal. It is served on special occasions or festivals like Diwali, raksha bandhan, bhai dooj. If you have refrigerated it, then I would suggest heat it in microwave only for 3 seconds just before serving, It will taste same as freshly made. If you like warm magaj then you can heat it for more time as well. But I prefer the room temperature one.
Magaj recipe (Gujarati magas recipe) Besan burfi recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
- ⅓ cup Ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 cup Coarse chickpea flour (magaj atta)
- ½ cup White granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon Green cardamom seeds powder
- a pinch or ⅛ teaspoon Freshly grated nutmeg
- few Almonds sliced for garnishing
- Grease tray or plate (in which you are going to set the burfis) with little ghee.
- Heat the ghee in pan on medium-low heat.
- Once hot add chickpea flour. And sauté it with stirring continuously till flour becomes golden brown.
- It will take about 4-5 minutes. You will get nice aroma of the toasted flour. Ghee will starts to ooze out from the sides. Also it gets slight dark brown color.
- When done turn off the stove.
- Add sugar. Mix very well.
- Add cardamom powder and nutmeg powder. Mix it well again.
- Transfer the mixture into greased tray and spread it evenly. You can make ladoo with same.
- garnish it with the almonds.
- let it cool for about 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- If making ladoo then 30 minutes is enough cooling time to form ladoo. Shape into ladoo with using your palms.
- Once the burfi is cooled completely. Then slice it with sharp knife.
- Remove them very gently without breaking it.