Coconut burfi is one of the best treats! You get chewy, soft, juicy desiccated coconut that’s perfectly rich, moist and sweetened with condensed milk. It is called nariyal barfi in Hindi language.
When short on time during the festive season, make this easy to make 10 minutes coconut burfi recipe that requires only 3 ingredients, plus a garnish.
❤️Why I Love This Recipe
- This is my go-to quick-fix dessert. Why? It just takes 10 mins of cooking time, rest is cooling passive time.
- They are perfect for parties because you can make a big batch with the same amount of time
- Adults, children and all absolutely love them.
- A quick recipe means I will get more time to spend with my family during the festive season.
- Plus, it also satisfies the sweet cravings.
- This is the instant, beginner-friendly version which is made with condensed milk. The traditional method calls for 1 string sugar syrup (ek taar chasni) which is a little tricky for beginners.
There is another Gujatari style coconut-based sweet called kopra pak which is made with fresh coconut, khoya, sugar and milk.
Here is the pic of the ingredients used in making coconut burfi. Just 4 ingredients (2 being main, 1 is a flavoring and 1 is garnishing).
Dry coconut: I like to use dry desiccated coconut because that’s what I always have in my pantry. Instead, you can use fresh coconut, you just have to increase the cooking time because fresh one has more moisture than dry.
Condensed milk: It adds richness, creaminess and of course sweetness.
Pistachios: I have used finely chopped pista on top of the burfi for garnish. I like the contrast pale white color of burfi with pista green. You can use your choice of any nuts like almonds, cashews.
Rosewater: It adds nice aroma and flavor to the coconut burfi.
👩🍳Step By Step Photo Instructions
Grease the 8x8 inch square pan with ghee and keep it ready.
1) Take (desiccated) dry coconut powder, sweetened condensed milk and rose water in a pan.
2) Turn the heat on medium, mix everything well and cook with stirring constantly till everything comes together and becomes thick. It takes about 5-7 minutes only.
3) Spread the mixture evenly onto the prepared pan. Sprinkle crushed pistachios and pat it lightly so they stick to the burfi. Let it cool down and set for a few hours. Cut into square pieces and serve.
🥣 Storage Instructions
At room temperature, It stays good 2-3 days in an airtight container.
In the refrigerator, it stays good for up to 10 days. As the days pass, coconut burfi starts to become slightly chewy. To get a fresh taste, I like to bring it to room temperature before serving, or just reheat in the microwave for just 4-5 seconds.
These nariyal burfi very versatile. It’s actually a very forgiving recipe. As a flavoring, I have added rose water. You can try below
- kewra water
- Cardamom powder
- 2-3 tablespoons of rose syrup or rooh afza to make rose coconut burfi
- 3 tablespoons milk masala powder
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder for chocolate coconut burfi
PS Tried this recipe? Please leave a star rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comment section. I always appreciate your feedback! Plus, Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook for all the latest updates.
📋 Recipe Card
Coconut Burfi (With Condensed Milk)
- 4 cups or 300 grams Desiccated coconut
- 14 oz can Sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons Rose water
- 2 tablespoons Pistachios crushed for garnishing
- Grease the 8x8 inch square pan with ghee and keep it ready.
- Take (desiccated) dry coconut powder. sweetened condensed milk and rose water in a pan.
- Turn the heat on medium, mix everything well and cook with stirring constantly till everything comes together and becomes thick. It takes about 5-7 minutes only.
- Spread the mixture evenly onto the prepared pan. Sprinkle crushed pistachios and pat it lightly so they stick to the burfi. Let it cool down and set for a few hours.
- Cut into square pieces and serve.