This idli fry is one of the easiest snack recipes using leftover idlis. Here I have shared two methods, one is deep frying and second is baked version for calorie conscious people.
I am always in love with fried idli, since my mom makes it almost all the time, if we have leftover idlis. It gives perfect crispness. But sure that it absorbs too much oil.
Recently I tried them in the oven and I am very happy with the results. Even baked idli fry is also crispy without drying out or without becoming chewy.
Both stays crispy even after cooling down and storing them for few hours.
Another recipe using leftover idlis – Masala idli
How to make Idli Fry Recipe (Step by Step Photos):
Jump to Recipe
1) Make sure to use chilled, refrigerated idli. NEVER use fresh idli for this. Cut into wedges.
2) Heat the oil in a pan for frying. I have used small amount of oil and shallow fried them. Add idli pieces into hot oil. After some time, keep moving and turning for even browning.
3) The smaller pieces will get fried first. So remove them using slotted spatula.
4) And now let the bigger pieces fry for longer or till they becomes crispy.
5) Once done remove using spatula and drain the excess oil.
6) Keep them on paper towel lined plate. While it is still hot or warm, sprinkle chaat masala on top.
Serve these fried idli right away. If you want you can have chutney for dipping on side. But I like them as such.
1) Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F or 190 degrees C for at least 10 minutes. Cut the idlis into wedges.
2) Arrange them on aluminium foil lined baking tray.
3) Now brush them generously with oil. Flip them brush other sides as well. Make sure to oil the pieces from all the sides, otherwise you will end up with chewy texture.
4) Bake into preheated oven for 12-14 minutes. Then remove the tray from the oven, flip the pieces.
5) Bake them again for 7-8 minutes.
6) While it is still hot, sprinkle chaat masala on top and serve.
Serving suggestion: Enjoy them as a snack.
Idli Fry Recipe (Fried idli and Baked Idli Fry)
For Fried idli recipe:
- 6 Idli , Chilled into refrigerator, a day old
- Chaat masala , as needed (or you can use pav bhaji masala, red chili powder, idli podi etc)
- Oil , for deep frying or shallow frying
For Baked Idli Fry Recipe:
- 6 Idli
- Chaat masala , as needed
- 2-3 tablespoons Oil , to brush on the idli
Making Idli fry (Fried version):
- Cut the idlis into wedges.
- On other side heat the oil on medium heat for frying.
- Add the pieces into hot oil and fry till they are golden brown and crispy.
- Then removed them to a paper towel lined plate. While it is still hot, sprinkle chaat masala on top and serve.
Making Baked Idli Fry:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F or 190 degrees C for 10 minutes.
- Cut the idlis into wedges and arrange them on baking sheet.
- Brush all the sides generously with oil.
- Bake into preheated oven for 12-14 minutes. Then flip the pieces and bake again for 7-8 minutes.
- Sprinkle chaat masala on top and serve.