The popular indian dessert carrot halwa made in an instant pot - pressure cooker. Because it is the instant version this carrot halwa is made with condensed milk.
What is Carrot Halwa?
In Hindi, it is called ‘Gajar ka halwa’. And it is made from red carrots, ghee, milk, khoya and sugar.
Traditionally the milk and carrot is simmered slowly till all the milk is dried up. This milk evaporation process takes few hours. You can check out the traditional method of making carrot halwa.
During this process, you need to stir it occasionally so the milk does not burn or stick to the pan. Then required to stir frequently during the last stage of the cooking process. So along with time consuming, this calls for some efforts and arm exercise.
But these days who has this much time to spend in kitchen. At least I don’t have anymore (used to have lot of time to spend in the kitchen, but with infant in home I can barely sneak out some time). That’s the reason we will be making this carrot halwa in instant pot.
This is dump and go recipe. This cannot be easier than this. Just dump everything (except ghee and nuts) in the instant pot and cook on manual. Once ready we add ghee and saute for some time. Lastly garnish with nuts.
Few things to know about Instant Pot Carrot Halwa Recipe:
- We do not get red, juicy carrots (which are traditionally used) here in USA. OK, sometimes in winter we get them in Indian grocery stores. But for convenience, I use orange carrots that we get widely and all year around in american grocery stores.
- Grating the one pound of carrots by hand (using box grater) will require some arm exercise and some time. Let’s make it quick and easy by using food processor. Yup!! It took me just 2 minutes.
- Traditionally sugar is used as a sweetener and khoya is added for richness. But here I am skipping khoya and making this carrot halwa with condensed milk. So this condensed milk will provide sweetness and creamy texture with little richness.
- This halwa is less rich (light) compared to the traditional version. If you prefer really rich than add ½ to ¾ cup of milk powder.
- Addition of ghee (clarified butter) is MUST. Do not skip or reduce the amount. It provides little richness and brings out the vibrant color of the halwa. If not used as mentioned than you will feel like eating sugary carrots not halwa.
- This carrot halwa can be served warm or chilled as per your preference.
- You can have warm halwa topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Too good !!!
- You can make parfait - layers of carrot halwa and whipped cream (or custard or shrikhand - sweet cardamom flavored greek yogurt) in individual serving bowl/glass.
Instant Pot Carrot Halwa Recipe (with condensed milk)
- 1 lb or 4 cups Carrot peeled and grated
- ¼ cup Milk
- ½ cup Sweetened condensed milk
- 3 tablespoons Ghee (clarified butter)
- 2 tablespoons Almonds chopped
- 2 tablespoons Cashew nuts chopped
- ½ teaspoon Green cardamom seeds powder
Making instant pot carrot halwa recipe:
- Add grated carrot, milk and condensed milk in the instant pot liner.
- Close with lid, set the valve to sealing position and pressure cook for 2 minutes on manual (high pressure).
- Now do the QPR (quick pressure release) by positioning the valve to venting. Once pin drops, open the lid.
- Turn on the saute mode and cook for 4-5 minutes till all the liquid dries up (if any).
- Next add ghee, chopped nuts and cardamom powder.
- Mix and cook for 2-3 minutes with stirring constantly.
- Carrot halwa is ready to serve.
- You can serve warm or chilled. (let the halwa come to room temperature, then chill in the refrigerator).