Perfect Instant pot Palak paneer! This copycat restaurant style recipe is a must try
The BEST Instant Pot Palak Paneer Recipe Ever!
Palak paneer is actually one of my favorite foods and I make it all the time. The traditional method is a little time-consuming. So nowadays (with one-year-old walking around) in my busy life I chose to make it quickly using instant pot.
This instant pot palak paneer recipe is super easy. It’s a total breeze, so this will become your new favorite too.
This gets ready in 15-20 minutes and makes a quick weeknight meal. If I don’t have much time then I serve with rice. And if I have some more time to cook then I make paratha to go with it.
What is the difference between palak paneer and saag paneer?
Traditionally both are different.
Palak paneer = it has gravy made from spinach only which is creamy and rich.
Saag paneer = it has gravy made from a
But here in the USA in many Indian restaurants, saag paneer is considered the same as palak paneer. But actually, they are not exactly the
Ingredients for Instant pot palak paneer:
- Paneer (fresh homemade or frozen store bought – widely available in Indian grocery stores or at many Costco locations)
- Spinach (fresh or frozen)
- Onion, tomato, ginger, garlic, green chilies
- Cashew nuts
- Heavy whipping cream
- Spices (garam masala,
How to make Instant Pot Palak paneer (Step by Step Photos):
1). Turn on the sauté mode of IP. Add oil and once it gets hot add onions. Cook till onion starts to soften and becomes light pink or translucent in color.
2) Add ginger, garlic and green chilies. Mix and cook for a couple of minutes or till the raw smell of ginger garlic go away.
3) Now add tomatoes and cashews.
4) Cook for 2 minutes or till tomato gets soften.
5) Add ½ cup of water and salt, mix.
6) Also, add spinach.
7) Cover with the lid and cancel the sauté mode, keep valve to sealing position. Cook on manual (high pressure) for 0 minutes. Then do QPR, once pin drops open the lid.
8) Now add remaining 1 cup of water and using a hand blender, make a smooth puree. Or you can use a
9) Turn the sauté mode back ON. Add garam masala,
10) Mix well.
11) Add paneer cubes.
12) Stir gently and simmer for 2 minutes.
Remove it to a serving bowl. Garnish with more drizzle of cream and serve.
Serving suggestion: Serve with garlic naan or jeera rice.
Can I make this palak paneer on
Here’s the traditional authentic method for palak paneer recipe.
Can I use frozen spinach?
Yes, you can use 10 oz packet of frozen spinach. Cooking time will be manual (high pressure) for 1 minute
Can I freeze this palak paneer for later?
Yes, this freezes really well and reheats really well.
I sometimes make a double batch and freeze the gravy only (without the addition of paneer). I freeze in small batches. So for quick dinner, I reheat the gravy, add paneer and it is ready.
Can I make vegan palak panner?
Yes, substitute the paneer with extra-firm tofu. Skip the heavy whipping cream, NO need to add any vegan cream or coconut cream. The name of the dish will be palak tofu.
Check out more instant pot recipes
- Instant pot chana masala
- Instant matar paneer
- Instant pot butter paneer
- Instant pot dal makhani
- Instant pot spinach dal
Instant Pot Palak Paneer Recipe
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 1 cup Red onion chopped
- 1 inch Ginger chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic chopped
- 2 Green chili or Serrano chilies, chopped
- ½ cup Tomato chopped
- ¼ cup Cashew nuts
- Salt to taste
- ½ + 1 cup Water
- 1 lb Spinach (Palak)
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala
- 2 teaspoons Kasoori methi (Dried fenugreek leaves) crushed between palm before adding
- ¼ cup Heavy whipping cream
- 14 oz Paneer cut into cubes
- Turn the instant pot on with sauté mode and add oil.
- Once oil gets heated up, add chopped onions and sauté till it becomes light pink and slightly soft.
- Add ginger, garlic and green chili. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cashew nuts; cook for few minutes or till tomatoes get soften.
- Add ½ cup of water, salt and spinach leaves.
- Cover with lid, set the valve to sealing, and cancel the sauté mode.
- Cook on manual for 0 minutes. Once beeps, position the valve to a venting position for QPR.
- Once the pin drops, open the lid and puree the mixture using blender or hand blander. Add remaining 1 cup of water while blending.
- Turn back the sauté mode on and garam masala, kasoori methi, heavy whipping cream and paneer.
- Mix well and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Then turn off the instant pot and palak paneer is ready to serve.
This is by far the best palak paneer recipe I have made. Easy and so flavorful. I will be making it again and again..thank you so much!
Very glad that you liked it.
Thank you Uma for the feedback
Hello! Can you correct the recipe to identify how many minutes the spinach should cook? Thank you
As the recipe says 0 minutes.
Meaning, the instant pot will come to a full pressure and timer will go off.
Immediately release the pressure and open the lid.