I love Indian style vermicelli recipes so I am sharing this instant pot vermicelli pulao. It’s seriously easy, quick and of course seriously delicious! It requires minimal prep and very little cleanup.
I am adding a mix of vegetables like bell pepper, carrot, and peas. You can use frozen mixed vegetables that contain corn, peas, beans etc.
I like to take a shortcut here by using my onion tomato masala instead of sautéing onion, tomato from scratch which would add more steps. It’s so good this way that it gets ready in just 10 minutes only.
Basically, this instant pot vermicelli pulao is a
This can be packed into a lunch box. Sometimes our family likes to have this vermicelli pulao as a light dinner.
Which vermicelli to use for this masala sevai recipe?
There are many different kind of vermicelli available in the market e.g. made from rice, semolina or wheat flour. Here we are using Indian vermicelli which is made from semolina or sooji.
Since this masala
Other names for vermicelli in Indian languages are sevai, semiya, seviya, shavige, shemai.
Step By Step Photo Instructions:
1). Turn on the instant pot with sauté mode. Once hot add oil and cumin seeds, let cumin seeds sizzle. Then add peanuts and fry for few seconds of till it becomes light brown.
2) Then add frozen or fresh onion tomato masala.
3) Add vegetables, salt and spice powders.
4) Then add roasted vermicelli.
5) Mix well.
6) Add water and stir.
7) Cover the instant pot with lid. Set the valve to sealing position. Cook on manual (high pressure) for 1 minute. Then do QPR (quick pressure release) by positioning the valve to venting. Once pin drops open the lid.
8) Drizzle lemon juice.
9) Sprinkle chopped cilantro.
10) Mix well and it is ready to serve.
How to make this vermicelli pulao on the
- If using unroasted vermicelli then heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add
sevai, keep stirring and roasting till it is light brown in color. Then remove it to a bowl.
- In the same pan, heat oil. Once hot add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
- Then add peanuts and roast till light brown.
onion tomatomasala, veggies, spices, salt, roasted sevai, and water. Mix well. Vermicelli water ratio for stovetop cooking: 1 cup sevaineeds 1 ¾ cups water.
- Once water starts boiling, cover with lid, cook for 5-6 minutes or till all the water is absorbed.
- Lastly, add lemon juice and cilantro, mix and serve.
Looking for simple south I
Check out more Indian instant pot recipes
- Instant pot bulgur recipe (dalia recipe)
- Instant pot veg noodles
- Instant pot pav bhaji
- Ragda patties (ragda and tamarind date chutney together made in instant pot)
Instant Pot Vermicelli Pulao Recipe (Masala Sevai)
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon Peanuts (you can use almonds, cashews)
- ¼ cup Onion Tomato Masala (fresh or frozen)
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup Capsicum (Green bell pepper) chopped
- ½ cup Green peas
- ¼ cup Carrots chopped
- ½ teaspoon Red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon Coriander powder
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon Garam masala
- 1 teaspoon Kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- 1 cup Roasted vermicelli
- 1 ⅓ cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice Or lime juice
- 2 tablespoons Cilantro or coriander leaves chopped finely
- Turn on sauté mode and add oil. Once hot add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
- Add peanuts and roast for a minute or till they are light brown in color.
- Add onion tomato masala, veggies (bell pepper, peas, carrot), salt, spice powders (red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, kasoori methi), roasted vermicelli and water. Mix well.
- Cover it with lid, valve to sealing and pressure cook on manual (high pressure) for 1 minute and then QPR.
- Once pin drops open the lid, add lemon juice and cilantro.
- Mix well and masala sevai is ready to serve.
Leave a Reply