Paneer is an extremely popular ingredient in Indian cuisine, especially in Punjabi, North Indian cuisine. At home we love paneer and so I make many different recipes using paneer. Here I am sharing the collection of 40 Paneer recipes. Every recipe has step by step photos.
Paneer is not only tasty but a good source of high-quality protein to vegetarians. It is rich in healthy nutrients like calcium, vitamin D. It is a good source of vitamin A and minerals. Along with this, it contains fat. So it should be consumed in moderation.
In this paneer recipes collection, I have shared many classic traditional dishes like palak paneer,
This collection is divided into the below categories. Click the link for quick access.
- Curry and dry
- Rice dishes using paneer
- Paratha using paneer
- Snacks, starters, fusion recipes using paneer
- Dessert using paneer
Basics to make paneer recipes:
Because this is the collection of paneer recipes, how can I not mention the simple and easy method of making paneer and use of its leftover whey?
1). How to make paneer - Just required two ingredients: milk and lemon juice. Making at home is economical and not to forget very easily. As always fresh tastes much better than store bought. But once in a while, I do use store-bought ones as a convenience.
2). Beverages made using paneer whey – after making paneer you will have whey liquid which is very nutritious. So do not make mistake of throwing it. You can use in soup, dal, curries, making the roti, paratha dough. Or make drinks with the addition of fruits.
Paneer Recipes: Curry and Sabzi
Below is the list of 24 easy to make paneer gravy and dry sabji recipes. The best served with tawa paratha, lachha paratha, naan, garlic naan, pudina paratha or tandoori roti. Gravy dishes can be served with basmati rice or jeera rice or peas pulao.
1). Palak Paneer – The most popular paneer gravy where paneer cubes are simmered in mild, vibrant green spinach gravy. Few tips are shared to retain spinach’s green color. This tastes so delicious just like restaurant style.
2). Kadai Paneer – Freshly ground
3). Paneer butter masala – another popular paneer dish which you will find in every Indian restaurant’s menu. Paneer pieces are simmered into buttery, spicy, creamy onion tomato gravy.
4). Matar paneer – This is home-style, light version of gravy. Paneer and green peas are cooked into medium spicy, non-creamy onion tomato gravy. Tips are shared to make it restaurant style.
5). Paneer tikka masala – Paneer cubes are marinated, grilled and simmered into a creamy, rich gravy. Marinating paneer requires some pre-plan and resting time in the fridge. Other than it is one of the easy paneer recipes.
7). Shahi paneer – This is Punjabi version which is adapted from Mughalai cuisine. Very aromatic yet spicy, creamy gravy is made from onion, tomato, and cashews.
9). Tawa paneer – This dry
10). Paneer jalfrezi – Sautéed vegetables and paneer strips are coated with thick, spicy, tangy gravy. This is a semi-dry curry recipe.
13). Mughalai shahi paneer – This is the white gravy paneer dish. Mildly spiced onion, yogurt gravy is very flavorful. This gravy has to be aromatic since Mughalai cuisine is known for that.
14). Paneer masala – The cooking method is different and unusual. Instead of sautéing onion tomato for longer (
15) Malai kofta – The popular kofta curry where koftas are made from grated paneer, boiled potatoes, nuts, and spices. Then deep fried and cooled. At the time of serving, the koftas are dipped into heavy cream (malai) and added into the gravy.
16) Paneer makhani – Makhani means buttery. So here paneer cubes are added into mildly spices, buttery tomato gravy. This is a restaurant-style dish that you can’t stop yourself for a second serving.
17) Paneer pasanda – Stuffed or sandwiched paneer triangles are fried and added into the brown onion-tomato gravy. This is the lengthy and time-consuming recipe, but totally worth to make it occasionally.
18) Paneer kofta curry – This is unique kofta curry recipe where koftas are stuffed with nuts. Then deep fried and added into a creamy, rich, flavorful red gravy.
19) Achari paneer – Here achar (or achaar) is the Hindi term meaning pickle. As the name says, the gravy is made from pickling spices which are usually used in making typical Indian pickle.
20) Aloo paneer – shallow fried potato and paneer pieces are added into typical
21) Chana paneer – The two popular Punjabi dishes chole and paneer are combined for good. Boiled chickpeas and paneer are cooked into the
22) Methi malai paneer – Fresh fenugreek leaves and paneer are simmered into spicy onion gravy. It has different taste from usual Punjabi gravy.
24) Instant pot butter paneer – Again the quick one using onion tomato masala and made
25) Instant pot palak paneer - This copycat restaurant style recipe is a must try recipe! You get an incredibly delicious taste with creamy, smooth, rich texture.
Paneer Recipes: Rice dishes
1). Paneer biryani – This paneer biryani is an incredibly flavorful and perfectly filling recipe. I am sure you’ll want this in your lunch/dinner menu again and again! It’s so easy to make and will be ready under 1 hour! It tastes too good when paired with mint raita and papad.
2). Paneer pulao – It is
3). Paneer fried rice - This is Indian Chinese style fried rice recipe with the addition of paneer cubes. This is 100 times better than regular veg fried rice.
Paneer Recipes: Paratha (Indian breads)
So far I have shared 2 stuffed paratha recipes using paneer. Enjoy it as a heavy breakfast or brunch. It can be packed into the
1). Paneer paratha – Traditional method where
2). Palak paneer paratha – The stuffing is made
Paneer Recipes: Snacks, fusion dishes
In this category, you will find few popular starter or appetizers; few recipes are indo-chinese versions.
2). Paneer sandwich –
3). Chili paneer - A popular
4). Paneer Manchurian dry – Another
6). Paneer pav bhaji – the popular Mumbai street food pav bhaji has
7). Paneer 65 - This Hyderabadi paneer starter recipe is deliciously bright, flavorful, spicy and super easy to make. To make it healthy, I have used air fryer instead if traditional deep-frying method.
Paneer Recipes: Desserts / Sweets
True, paneer is used not only in making savories but desserts too. For some desserts, you cannot use store bought paneer. You must make fresh paneer aka cheena. Meaning just curdle the milk and drain the milk solids and use in the recipe, no need to set the paneer to make cubes.
2). Kalakand – This is the instant version where fresh
3). Rasgulla – A traditional
4). Rasmalai – spongy rasgullas soaked in rich, sweet, thickened, saffron flavored milk. At the time of serving, it is garnished with your choice of nuts.