This Instant Pot Veg Noodles is the copycat recipe of the hakka noodles that we get in Indo-Chinese restaurants.
I am huge fan of chinese noodles especially indo-chinese version. Are you too? I love it that much that I want to enjoy it once a week. And on weekdays I don’t get that much time to cook. You know you have to boil the noodles separately and stir frying the veggies+noodles in pan. So double the task and more dirty pans.
so I have been making this veg noodles in Instant pot. Because instant pot makes the whole process quick and dinner gets ready within 30 minutes. And not to forget just one pot to wash. And remember we are not compromising on taste here.
This instant pot veg noodles tastes too good on its own that you don’t need any side dish to go with it. And it is filling too. Just have a bowl of noodles and you are good to go.
First I tried to cook veggies and noodles altogether in instant pot. E.g. saute veggies, add water, noodles and cook them together. The result is vegetables end up very soft, mushy and flavorless. Because veggies need less cooking time vs noodles or spaghetti.
When it comes to the noodles dish, I prefer my veggies slightly crunchy and not soft, mushy. So here I am stir frying veggies first on saute mode. Removing them to plate. Then cooking the noodles with sauce mixture in instant pot under pressure. At the end I mix both veggies and noodles. And it is ready.
So with this method, the result is PERFECT cooked noodles with crunchy vegetables. This is the texture I look for. And I am sure you will like it too
One thing to keep in mind. Since we are pressure cooking noodles with less water. Noodles have starch in them, so they will clump up together unlike stove stop cooking where we are discarding the starchy water. So you need to separate them using tongs. But they are not clumpy like sticky-sticky. Separating them is manageable.
Here I am using Ching’s Secret Hakka Noodles which I bought from Indian grocery store. Instead you can use regular or whole wheat spaghetti.
Instant Pot Veg Noodles Recipe (Indo-Chinese Noodles in IP)
For sauteeing veggies:
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 cup Red onion sliced
- ½ cup Cabbage shredded
- ½ cup Carrot julienned
- ½ cup Mushrooms sliced
- ½ cup Capsicum (Green bell pepper) sliced
- ½ cup Green beans (French beans) sliced diagonally
- ¼ teaspoon Black pepper powder or to taste
For instant pot noodles recipe:
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 2 teaspoons Ginger finely chopped or minced
- 2 teaspoons Garlic finely chopped or minced
- 1 ½ cups Water
- 8 oz Noodles or spaghetti, broken into half or pieces
- 1 ½ tablespoons Soy sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons Chilli sauce or to taste
- 1 ½ tablespoons Tomato Ketchup
- 1 ½ teaspoon Vinegar
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons Spring onion (green onion or scallion) chopped
Prep and Cooking Veggies:
- First chop the veggies and keep them ready. Next combine all the sauces (soy sauce, chili sauce, ketchup, vinegar) in a bowl and keep it ready.
- Turn on the Instant pot with saute mode. Once hot, add 1 tablespoon oil and all the veggies (onion, cabbage, carrot, bell pepper, mushroom) and black pepper powder.
- Stir and saute for 2-3 minutes. Veggies should be almost cooked. They are soft but still should hold the shape, we don’t want mushy.
- Once ready turn off the saute mode and remove veggies to a plate.
Making Instant Pot Veg Noodles Recipe:
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil and turn back the saute mode.
- Once hot add ginger and garlic, saute for 1 minute.
- Add water, prepared sauce mixture, salt (If needed) and noodles (or spaghetti). Push the noodles into the liquid.
- Close instant pot with lid, valve in sealing position and cook on manual (high pressure) 4 minutes. Do QPR (quick pressure release), once pin drops open the lid.
- Stir and seperate the noodles, if you any clumps.
- Add cooked veggies, spring onions and mix. Cover with lid and rest for 5 minutes, then serve.