Maah Chole Ki Dal Recipe – this is the staple dal in Punjabi households. In their language it is called maah choleyan di dal. You may find this dal being served in Gurdwaras or langar.
Here maah means urad dal (in this recipe it is split urad dal with skin), Chole ki dal means chana dal. So as the name says it is made from urad dal and chana dal with very less spices.
In terms of spices, only red chili powder is added. The most flavor comes from ginger, garlic and butter.
The addition of butter makes it rich and buttery. This maah chole ki dal is slightly creamy too because of the urad dal. As the urad dal cooks, it gives creamy texture.
How to make Maah Chole Ki Dal Recipe (Step by Step Photos):
Jump to Recipe
1) Take both dal (urad dal and chana dal) in a bowl or strainer. Wash or rinse them using cold water till water gets clear.
2) Then soak them in enough water for 30 minutes to 1 hour. The discard the soaking water.
3) Take soaked dal into pressure cooker. Add salt, ginger paste, garlic paste and butter.
4) Add 1 ½ cups of water. Cover the cooker with lid, put the weight on and turn the heat on medium.
5) Let it cook for 5-6 whistles or till the dal gets cooked and soft. Let the pressure go down by itself then open the lid.
6) Mash the dal slightly using back of the spoon or spatula. Check the consistency of the dal.
7) Depending on that add extra water. I have added ¾ cups of water.
8) Turn the heat back on medium and let it simmer for 3-4 minutes.
9) Meanwhile on another stove, heat the ghee in a small pan on medium heat. Once hot add chopped onion, ginger, garlic and green chili.
10) Mix and saute till onions get soft and light pink in color.
11) Then add chopped tomatoes.
12) Mix well and cook till tomatoes get soft and slightly mushy.
13) Now add red chili powder.
14) Mix well and cook for a minute.
15) Add this mixture to simmering dal.
16) Mix well to combine. Turn off the stove.
17) Lastly add chopped coriander and mint leaves.
18) Mix well and it is ready to serve.
Maah Chole Ki Dal Recipe (How to make maah chole di dal recipe)
For maah chole di dal recipe:
- ½ cup Urad dal (split, with skin)
- ¼ cup Chana dal (Split bengal gram)
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Ginger paste or freshly grated or crushed
- 1 teaspoon Garlic paste or freshly grated
- 2 tablespoons Butter (makhan)
- 1 ½ cups Water for pressure cooking
- ½ to 1 cup Water to add later for right dal consistency
- 1 tablespoon Cilantro or coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Mint leaves finely chopped
For tempering (tadka):
- 1 tablespoon Ghee (Clarified butter)
- ½ teaspoon Ginger finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon Garlic finely chopped
- 1 Green chili finely chopped
- ¼ cup Onion finely chopped
- ¼ cup Tomato finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
Making Maah Chole ki Dal Recipe:
- Combine and wash both dals and soak for 30 minutes.
- Then discard the water and take into pressure cooker along with salt, ginger paste, garlic paste, butter and 1 ½ cups of water.
- Pressure cook it for 5-6 whistles on medium heat or till soft. Then mash slightly using back of spoon of spatula.
- Add remaining water to get right consistency and simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Heat the ghee in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add onion, ginger, garlic and green chili, cook till soft and light pink in color.
- Then add tomatoes and cook till soft.
- Now mix in red chili powder and cook for a minute.
- Add this tempering to the dal and mix.
- Lastly add chopped coriander and mint leaves. Turn off the stove.