Mixed Vegetable Paratha Recipe – These are healthy, delicious and packed with nutrients. These are perfect for those (kids and adults) who doesn’t like to eat their veggies.
Here the addition of vegetables are up to your choice. I have used potato, peas, carrot, beans, capsicum and cauliflower. Other veggies like broccoli, beetroot, sweet potato, arbi etc can be used. You can added leafy green vegetables like spinach, methi, mooli leaves, beetroot leaves etc. No need to boil the leafy greens, chop them and add directly into the dough.
Here addition of potato makes the paratha soft and it stays soft even after cooling down. So do not skip the potatoes. Instead of potatoes, sweet potato gives the same texture, but sure gives the totally different taste.
The flavor and taste of these vegetable paratha depends on what veggies you are using.
How to make Vegetable Paratha Recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Take vegetables (potatoes, peas, carrot, cauliflower, beans and capsicum) into small pan or steamer pan which can fit into the pressure cooker. Add a glassful of water in the cooker, put the stand inside and on top of the stand put the vegetable container. The water should not touch the vegetables. Cover it with the lid and turn the heat on medium.
2) Let it cook for 2 whistles or till the vegetables are soft and cooked. Let the pressure go down by itself then open the lid.
3) Remove the vegetables into a plate or bowl. Let it cool down slightly. Then add chopped green chilies, coriander leaves and grated ginger.
4) Using potato masher, start mashing and mixing together.
5) Do not mash completely like puree, it should be chunky.
6) Now in another big bowl, take chapati atta. Add salt, sesame seeds and spices (turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala, kasoori methi, chaat masala)
7) Mix well.
8) Now add mashed vegetables.
9) Start mixing using fingers. It will come together like a dough.
10) Add very little water and knead into a smooth, soft dough. I used only couple teaspoons of water. It depends on how much moisture is present in your vegetables.
11) Cover it and let it rest for 15 minutes. After that knead two three times again and make it smooth. Divide it into 12-13 equal portions. Make smooth balls and flatten them between your palm one by one.
12) Take one disc, dip into dry flour.
13) Roll into 5-6 inch diameter circle. If needed dust it one or two times while rolling, so it does not stick to the rolling board.
14) Heat the tawa on medium heat for cooking paratha. Once hot, place rolled paratha.
15) Let it cook for few seconds, you will see few bubbles. That time flip the paratha and cook other side for few seconds.
16) Apply oil on the surface.
17) Flip the paratha and cook by pressing slightly, gently using spatula.
18) Now apply oil on top side and flip.
19) Similarly cook other side by pressing till you see golden brown spots and no more raw doughy part seen.
20) Once done, remove it from tawa and keep in insulated container.
Similarly roll and fry rest of the paratha.
Serving suggestion: Serve vegetable paratha with side of plain yogurt (with sprinkle of salt and roasted cumin powder) or any raita recipes (e.g. mint raita, onion tomato raita, spinach raita, carrot raita). This can be served as a breakfast with cup of tea or coffee. It can be served with pickle or chunda too.
Vegetable Paratha Recipe (How to make mixed vegetable paratha recipe)
US measuring cups are used (1 cup = 240 ml)
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
For pressure cooking vegetables (total 2 cups of your choice):
- ½ cup Potatoes peeled and cubed
- ½ cup Green peas
- ¼ cup Carrot cubed
- ¼ cup Cauliflower (gobi) florets
- ¼ cup Green beans (French beans) cut into 1 inch pieces
- ¼ cup Capsicum (Green bell pepper) chopped
For making vegetable paratha dough:
- ¼ cup Cilantro or coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1 Green chili finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Ginger grated
- 1 ½ cups Whole wheat flour (Chapati atta) + more for dusting while rolling
- Salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon Garam masala
- 1 teaspoon Chaat masala
- 1 teaspoon Kasoori methi (Dried fenugreek leaves)
- 2 teaspoon Sesame seeds
- 2-3 teaspoons Water or as needed
- Oil as needed to cook paratha
- Pressure cook or steam or microwave the vegetables till soft and cooked. If pressure cooking then see the step by step photo instruction (We are not cooking the vegetables into water otherwise the mixture will have too much moisture we end up with soggy dough).
- Let the vegetables cool slightly, then mash them using potato masher along with grated ginger, chopped green chili and coriander leaves.
- In a bowl take whole wheat flour, salt, sesame seeds and all the spice powders. Mix well.
- Add mashed vegetable mixture and start mixing with your hand.
- Knead into smooth, soft dough. Add very little water as needed to make the dough.
- Cover it and let it rest for 15 minutes
Making mixed vegetable paratha recipe:
- Again knead and make 12-13 smooth balls, flatten them to make discs.
- Now roll one disc into 5-6 inch diameter circle.
- Heat the tawa on medium heat. Once hot place rolled paratha and cook for few seconds or till you see few bubbles on top.
- Now flip and cook other side. Apply little oil, flip and cook by pressing slightly using spatula till the bottom has golden brown spots.
- Then again apply little oil, flip and cook same way.
- Place into insulated container and repeat the same for rest.