Mixed Vegetable Curry Recipe – There are many different ways of making mix veg recipes. Today I am sharing the gravy version that goes perfect with roti, paratha, chapati or even rice. Occasionally I do make dry version too, I will share that recipe later.
The addition of different vegetables are up to your choice. I have used the standard / popular mixed vegetables like potato, peas, capsicum, cauliflower, carrot and beans. I always clean, chop, prepare these veggies except potatoes during weekends and freeze them in ziplock bag. So it’s just the matter making gravy. Also prepping ahead of time makes other weeknight dinners quick and easy. If you do not have time to prep, You can keep ready frozen bags of mixed vegetable (I guess that contains peas, corn, carrot and beans). So you can add other veggies like potatoes, capsicum on top of that as per your liking.
The bright color of the mix veg gravy comes from the kashmiri chilies. I have made paste from cashew nuts and dried kashmiri chilies. If you are in rush and want to avoid this extra paste making step, you can skip it. The gravy will still taste good.
I have soaked the onions for sometime in warm water. So while grinding and cooking this raw onion paste, it won’t give strong smell.
How to make Mixed vegetable curry recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Soak the cashews and kashmiri chilies into warm or hot water for 15 minutes.
2) At the same time, also soak chopped onion, ginger, garlic and green chili into warm water for 15 minutes in a separate bowl. While these two are soaking, prepare the mixed vegetables and rest spices.
3) Now, start with cashew, chili and make smooth paste, remove it to a bow.
4) Next grind the onions, ginger, garlic and green chili to the smooth paste and remove to a bowl.
5) In the same grinder, puree the fresh tomatoes. Keep it aside.
6) For cooking the vegetables, I have cooked them in a microwave. For that, take veggies except capsicum in a microwave safe bowl, add ¼ cup of water and little salt. Cover with plate and microwave it for 5 minutes. Remove, add capsicum and again cook for 2-3 minutes. Alternately you can steam them (steaming method shared in this veg makhanwala) or fry them in a pan (pan frying method shared in veg kadai). Choose any method that you prefer.
7) Now heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
8) Then whole spices (cloves, cinnamon stick, bay leaf) and saute for 30-40 seconds or till you get the nice aroma of spices.
9) Now add onion paste and mix.
10) Cook till all the water (moisture) evaporates and become thick paste.
11) Now add pureed tomatoes.
12) Mix and let it simmer. If it splutters a lot then you can partially cover with lid and continue cooking.
13) Cook till all the moisture is gone, Do stir in between to make sure that it is not sticking to the pan.
14) Now add salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder and coriander powder.
15) Mix well and cook for a minute. Oil may starts to ooze out from the sides.
16) Now add chili, cashew paste.
17) Mix well and cook for a minute.
18) Then add water to make gravy and bring it to a simmer and cook for 3-4 minutes.
19) Then add cooked veggies and mix.
20) Again simmer for 4-5 minutes. Do stir once or twice in between.
21) Now add garam masala and kasoori methi. Crush the methi between your palm before adding.
22) Mix well and turn off the stove.
Mixed Vegetable Curry Recipe (How to make mix veg curry recipe)
For red chili paste:
- 2 Kashmiri dried red chilies , Stem and seeds removed
- 6 Cashew nuts
For Onion paste:
- 1 medium or ¾ cup Onion roughly chopped
- ½ inch Ginger
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Green chili
For mixed vegetable curry recipe:
- 1 small or ⅓ cup Potatoes cut into strips
- ⅓ cup Green beans (French beans) , cut into 1 inch pieces
- ⅓ cup Carrot cut into long strips
- ⅓ cup Cauliflower (gobi) separated into florets
- ⅓ cup Green peas
- ⅓ cup Capsicum (Green bell pepper) , cut into long strips
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- ½ inch Cinnamon stick
- 1 Bay leaf
- 2 medium or 1 cup Tomato pureed
- Salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1 cup Water
- ½ teaspoon Garam masala
- ½ teaspoon Kasoori methi (Dried fenugreek leaves)
Making paste and cooking vegetables:
- Take cashew nuts and kashmiri chilies in a bowl. Add little hot water and let it sit for 15-20 minutes.
- Similarly soak chopped onions, ginger, garlic and green chilies into hot/warm water for 15 minutes.
- After than grind them separately. First make smooth paste of cashews and red chilies, remove it to a bowl. In the same grinder, make smooth paste of onion, ginger, garlic and green chili. Again remove it to a separate bowl.
- Lastly make smooth puree of tomatoes. Keep it aside till needed.
- Now cook the vegetables. I have cooked in microwave for 7-8 minutes till soft. You can steam them or pan fry them. (See more details in step by step photos).
Making mixed veg curry recipe:
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
- Then add cloves, cinnamon stick and bay leaf, saute for 30-40 seconds.
- Now add onion paste and cook till all the water gone and it becomes thick paste.
- Now add tomato puree and again cook till all the moisture is evaporated.
- Now add salt, red chili powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder. Mix and cook for a minute. Oil may starts to release from the sides.
- Now add red chili paste and mix.
- Add water to make gravy and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Then add cooked veggies and again simmer for 4-5 minutes or till you get desired gravy consistency.
- Lastly add garam masala and kasuri methi.
- Mix well and turn off the stove.