Capsicum Curry Recipe or Capsicum Masala – Sauteed green bell pepper (capsicum) is simmered in onion, tomato, nuts gravy. This is Punjabi style curry recipe that goes well with roti, paratha, chapati.
This curry is very easy to make. Also it is flavorful and healthy. This is my go to capsicum recipe. I usually make this curry once a week. It’s dear hubby’s favorite. Also this is one of my favorite capsicum recipes.
This capsicum gravy is perfect with chapati or roti or paratha. We had this curry in yesterday’s lunch . I served it with plain paratha and sliced onions w/lemon drops on side. And as always, after the lunch I drink a glass of water with lemon juice and pinch of salt. This helps in easy digestion.
You do not prefer that spicy food. No worries, you can adjust the green chilies and red chili powder as per your liking taste.
I like to have capsicum lit bit crunchy. So I have not cooked it all the way. But you can cook as per your and your family’s preference.
For a beautiful looking curry, you can use colored bell pepper instead of only green one. Use mix of red, orange or yellow bell peppers.
You can call this recipe Punjabi capsicum masala as well. Because this gravy has usual punjabi onion-tomato bhuna masala. This green bell pepper curry is bit of creamy. because we added roasted peanuts and cashew nuts powder in it. This nuts powder will make the gravy little grainy. So it has some texture or bite. If you want smooth gravy then make nuts paste by adding little water into grinder. It is quite healthy. As we are not using any cream or milk to make it creamy and rich. So that’s why you can have it in everyday basis.
Check out More Capsicum Recipes
How to make capsicum curry recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Dry roast the peanuts and cashew nuts on medium heat. they will get light brown in color.
2) Let them cool completely. grind it into fine powder.
3) Take onion, tomato, green chili, ginger, garlic, green chili and coriander seeds in a blender.
4) Make smooth gravy out of. No need to add any water.
5) Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add cubed capsicum.
6) Cook them till they are 70% cooked. Rest of cooking will be done in gravy. Remove them in a bowl or plate.
7) Heat the same pan again with 3 teaspoons of oil on medium heat. Once hot add bay leaf, cloves and cumin seeds. Let cumin seeds sizzle.
8) Then add onion-tomato gravy. Mix well.
9) Cook till all the moisture from gravy evaporates. And the oil will start to leave from the gravy. Then add salt and red chili powder. Mix and cook for a minute.
10) Add 1 ¼ cups of water. Mix it well. Let it come to a boil.
11) Sprinkle nuts powder.
12) Mix it.
13) Add cooked capsicum.
14) Mix it and let it cook for about 3 minutes. (Adjust water as per your liking gravy consistency.)
15) And lastly add garam masala.
16) Mix well and switch of the stove. It is ready to serve.
This Punjabi style capsicum masala curry is really delicious. If you like the capsicum then I am sure you will love this curry. I bet that once you try this curry, you will fall in love with this. So get in kitchen and make this yummy curry for today’s lunch or dinner.
Capsicum curry recipe
- 1 tablespoon Peanuts
- 1 tablespoon Cashew nuts
To grind into paste:
- 1 medium or 1 cup Onion chopped roughly
- 2 small or 1 ¼ cups Tomato chopped roughly
- ½ inch Ginger
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 3 Green chilies
- 1 teaspoon Coriander seeds (sabut dhaniya)
For capsicum curry recipe:
- 3 + 1 teaspoons Oil
- 1 large or 1 ½ cups Capsicum (green bell pepper) cut into cubes
- 1 Bay leaf
- 3 Cloves
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon Garam masala
- Salt to taste
- 1 ¼ cups Water or more or less as per your desire gravy consistency
First make powder and paste:
- Dry roast the peanuts and cashew nuts on medium heat. They will get light brown in color.
- Let them cool completely. grind it into fine powder. Keep it aside.
- Take all the ingredients listed under 'paste' in a blender.
- Make smooth gravy out of. No need to add any water. Keep it aside.
Making capsicum curry recipe:
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add cubed capsicum.
- Cook them till they are done 70%. Rest of cooking will be done in gravy. Remove them in a bowl.
- Heat the same pan again with 3 teaspoons of oil on medium heat. Once hot add bay leaf, cloves and cumin seeds. Let cumin seeds sizzle.
- Then add onion-tomato gravy. Mix well.
- Cook till all the moisture from gravy evaporates. And the oil will start to leave from the gravy. Then add salt and red chili powder. Mix and cook for a minute.
- Add 1 ¼ cups of water. Mix it well. Let it come to a boil.
- Stir in nuts powder. and add cooked capsicum.
- Mix it and let it simmer for about 3 minutes. (Adjust water as per your liking gravy consistency.)
- Lastly add garam masala. Mix well .
- switch of the stove.