रेसिपी को हिन्दी में पढ़े
Momos Chutney Recipe – This is spicy tomato chili garlic sauce recipe. Perfect as a dipping sauce for momos.
The first time I have tried veg momos in Nepali restaurant during my visit to NC. Over there it was served with six different types of momos sauce. Among all six, I really enjoyed only two. The one has spicy (I mean really spicy, I got tears in my eyes with runny nose), garlicky taste which is similar to this recipe. And second was the yogurt based.
This momos chutney is spicy with slightly tangy and garlicky flavor. This taste and flavor complements well when served with mild flavored momos. I have tried this with spring rolls and it is too good.
The spicy taste comes from of course dried red chilies. Here I have used half regular spicy variety of chilies and half kashmiri chilies. Kashmiri chilies are not spicy in taste but gives nice, bright red color. If you cannot tolerate the spice level, I would suggest to use all kashmiri red chilies. Always remove the seeds of dried chilies to reduce the spice level. Also seeds and stems are not good for your body.
The slightly tangy flavor of this chutney comes from tomatoes and lemon juice. If your tomatoes are more sour then you can add pinch of sugar to balance the flavor.
How to make Momos Chutney Recipe (Step by Step Photos):
Jump to Recipe
1) Take tomatoes and dried red chilies in a pan along with water.
2) Turn the heat on medium and cook for 5-6 minutes. The skin of tomatoes will starts to release and chilies get soften. Let it cool down.
3) Meantime, dry roast the cumin seeds and peppercorns on low-medium heat with stirring constantly till you get roasted aroma of the cumin. Let it cool down as well.
4) Then discard the water from tomato-chili and take them into a grinder or blender. Add roasted cumin seeds and peppercorns. Also add garlic cloves and salt.
5) Squeeze the lemon juice.
6) And grind into smooth paste. Remove it to a serving bowl.
Momos Chutney Recipe (Spicy Chili Garlic Sauce with Tomatoes)
US measuring cups are used (1 cup = 240 ml)
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
- 2 medium Tomato
- 4-5 Dried red chilies , seeds and stem removed (I used 3 regular chilies and 2 kashmiri chilies)
- 1 ½ cups Water
- 2 teaspoons Cumin seeds
- 4-5 Black peppercorns
- Salt to taste
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 2-3 teaspoons Lemon juice
Cook tomatoes, dried red chilies along with water for 5-6 minutes or till tomato skin starts to release and chilies get soften. Let it cool down.
Meantime dry roast the cumin seeds and peppercorns on low-medium heat and let it cool down as well.
Then take tomatoes and chillies (without water) into a grinder.
Add roasted cumin, peppercorns, garlic cloves, salt and lemon juice.
Grind it into smooth paste and remove it to a bowl, serve with momos.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 serving (~ 1/4 cup)