Veg Cutlet Recipe – Perfect as a snack or starter with mint chutney or green coriander chutney. If making for guests or parties, shape and refrigerate the vegetable cutlets and at the time of serving fry and serve hot.
Here mixed vegetables and potatoes are steamed boiled in the pressure cooker and then sauteed with spices to make delicious mixed veg cutlet mixture. Potato is the base, so do not reduce its amount. But the addition of other vegetables are of your choice. Add more or less any vegetable as per your liking.
These vegetable cutlets are really crispy from the outside while soft and melt in your mouth from inside. Shaped cutlets are dipped into flour batter and coated with breadcrumbs before frying. This makes them nice, crispy and too good.
The taste and texture of these veg cutlet are similar to the restaurant ones. Try it and I am 100% sure that you will love it.
Other than serving as a starter, make them into big patties and use as a burger patty. Or make the cutlet sandwich.
Stuff a small cube of cheese in the center while shaping and make cheese veg cutlet.
How to make Veg Cutlet Recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Let’s start by pressure cooking the veggies. For that add glassful of water in the cooker. Take all the vegetables (potatoes, beans, carrot, capsicum, peas) in a small bowl or steamer pan that can fit into the cooker. Put this whole thing into the cooker. Make sure that it is not touching the water (there should be a rack in the bottom or in my case the steamer pan has stand or legs in the bottom hence it is not touching the water).
2) Cover the cooker with lid and turn the heat on medium. Cook for 2 whistles and then turn off the stove. Let the pressure go down by itself then open the lid. (NOTE: we are steam pressure cooking here because we don’t want any moisture. If pressure cooked them directly with addition of water like we do in pav bhaji then veggies will have too much water.) Alternately you can steam them but it will take more time.
3) Now heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add sesame seeds and let them pop.
4) Then add chopped onion, ginger paste and green chilies.
5) Mix well. Sprinkle little salt to speed up the process.
6) Cook till onions get soft and light pink in color.
7) Now add breadcrumbs and coriander leaves.
8) Mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
9) Now add boiled vegetables.
10) Also add remaining salt, red chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala.
11) Start mashing with potato masher and keep mixing.
12) There should not be any big chunks of veggies.
13) Now add lemon juice.
14) Mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes. If you find that mixture is too loose and soft, then you can add more breadcrumbs and mix. Turn off the stove and let the mixture cool to touch.
15) Meantime take all purpose flour in a bowl.
16) And add water to make smooth batter to dip the cutlets in.
17) Now at the time of making, keep everything (batter, cutlet mixture, breadcrumbs in a plate and a clean plate to put prepared cutlets) ready on you counter or work surface.
18) Now start shaping them. I have shaped few of them in heart shape and few in cylinder shape. Shape all of them first and keep on the plate.
19) Now take one by one, dip into the batter.
20) Then directly put on the breadcrumb plate and coat both sides.
21) This way prepare all of them.
22) Now heat the oil in a pan on medium heat for frying. Since we have coated with breadcrumbs, the oil will get messy. So always shallow fry them by using only 1 inch of oil into the small pan. So you will waste the less amount of oil. Once the oil is hot, carefully slide few vegetable cutlets in.
23) Once they get crispy and golden brown from one side, flip them and fry the other side.
24) Once golden brown and crispy from both sides, remove them to a paper towel lined plate.
Serve hot/warm before it lose its crispness.
Veg Cutlet Recipe (How to make Vegetable Cutlet Recipe)
Vegetables to cook in pressure cookker:
- 250 grams or 3 medium Potatoes peeled and cut into half or quater
- 50 grams or ½ cup Green beans (French beans) chopped
- 50 grams or ½ cup Carrot chopped
- 50 grams or ½ cup Capsicum (Green bell pepper) chopped
- 100 grams or ¾ cup Green peas
For veg cutlet recipe:
- 1 tablespoon Oil + more for frying
- 1 teaspoon Sesame seeds
- ¼ cup Onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Ginger paste or freshly grated or crushed
- 1 large Green chili finely chopped or crushed
- ¼ cup Breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup Cilantro or coriander leaves finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon Red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon Coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon Garam masala
- 2 teaspoons Lemon juice
For outer coating:
- 3 tablespoons All purpose flour (Maida)
- 5 tablespoons Water
- ½ cup Breadcrumbs
Making veg cutlet recipe:
- Steam pressure cook the vegetables for 2 whistles. Let them cool down slightly.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan on medium heat then add sesame seeds.
- Once they sizzle add chopped onion, ginger paste and green chilies. Mix and saute till onions get soft.
- Mix in breadcrumbs and coriander leaves, cook for 2 minutes
- Now add boiled vegetables along with salt, red chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala.
- Start mashing with potato masher and keep mixing.
- Now add lemon juice, mix and cook for 2-3 minutes. If you find that mixture is too loose and soft, then you can add more breadcrumbs and mix.
- Turn off the stove and let the mixture cool to touch.
- Meantime take all purpose flour in a bowl and add water to make smooth batter.
- Now start shaping cutlets and keep them on a plate.
- Now take one by one, dip into the batter, then directly put on the breadcrumb plate and coat both sides. This way prepare all of them.
- Fry them in hot oil till they are golden brown and crispy from both sides.
- Remove them to a paper towel lined plate and serve hot.