Vegetable Khichdi Recipe - This is ultimate comfort food when served with a bowl of dahi and papad. It is made from mix of two types of moong dal and broken rice with few veggies and basic spices.
Speaking of moong dal, I have used both moong dals (with skin and without skin). You can use any one or use toor dal (arhar dal).
When it comes to the khichdi recipe, I always prefer slightly mushy, soft texture. If you do not like this way, then reduce the amount of water and decrease the cooking time.
In this vegetable masala khichdi, I have used potato, peas, carrot and capsicum along with onion tomato. You can use any other vegetables of your choice.
This makes healthy and nutritious one pot meal. When you are in rush or short on time for making dinner, go for this. This can be ready in jiffy.
Usually ghee is essential while making khichdi, but here I have used oil and still it tastes good. If you want you can use mix of oil and ghee or only ghee. Alternately you can top it with a drizzle of ghee right before serving.
Check out other khichdi recipes
Masala khichdi // Moong dal khichdi // Gujarati khichdi // Oats khichdi
Step By Step Photo Instructions:
1) Take rice and both dal in a bowl.
2) Rinse them 2-3 times using water. Or you can wash through running cold tap water.
3) Take ginger, garlic and green chili into mortar and pestle.
4) Crush them roughly. Instead you can use ginger garlic paste and chopped green chilies, but freshly crushed gives nice different flavor.
5) Heat the oil in a pressure cooker on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds, let them pop. Then add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
6) Now add dried red chilies and saute for few seconds.
7) Add chopped onion and crush ginger, garlic, chili.
8) Mix and saute till onions get soft and translucent or light pink in color.
9) Now add vegetables (tomato, potato, peas, carrot and capsicum).
10) Mix well.
11) Add salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and garam masala.
12) Mix and saute for a minute.
13) Add washed dal, rice mixture.
14) Stir to combine.
15) Add water and mix.
16) Cover the cooker with lid, put the weight on. Cook for 3 whistles on medium heat. Then turn off the stove.
17) Let the pressure go down by itself then open the lid.
18) Mix with spatula and serve hot/warm.
Serving suggestion: serve vegetable khichdi with curd (yogurt or dahi), papad and pickle (achaar). This tastes good with kadhi too.
Did you try this vegetable khichdi recipe? I’d love to hear about it! Leave a review in the comment section below.
- ½ cup Short grain rice or broken rice
- ¼ cup Yellow moong dal (split and skinless)
- ¼ cup Chilkewali moong dal
- ½ inch Ginger
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 Green chili
- 3 tablespoons Oil
- ½ teaspoon Mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 2 Dried red chilies
- ½ cup Red onion chopped
- ¼ cup Tomato chopped
- ¼ cup Carrots chopped
- ¼ cup Green peas
- ¼ cup Capsicum (Green bell pepper) chopped
- ¼ cup Potatoes peeled and cubed
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon Cumin powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon Red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon Garam masala
- 2 ½ cups Water
- Crush ginger, garlic and green chili in mortar and pestle. Alternately use small grinder or use chopped or ready paste.
- Chop the veggies required and keep them ready.
- Take dal and rice together and rinse 2-3 times using water.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds, as they pop add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
- Then add chopped onions and crushed ginger, garlic, chili. Mix and cook till onion becomes soft and translucent or light pink.
- Now add all the vegetables, salt, spice powders (turmeric, red chili, coriander, cumin, garam masala powder), dal and rice. Mix well.
- Add water and stir. Cover with lid and cook for 3 whistles on medium heat, then turn off the stove.
- Open the lid once pressure releases. Mix with spatula and serve.
This recipe is simply superb. Turned out so delicious. Loved it.
Very glad to hear it
Hello! When to add the rice and daals? The recipe doesn't mention anywhere. 🤔
It is mentioned in the step by step photo instructions but missed in recipe card. Updated the recipe card. Thank you for pointing that out.
Dal-rice are added along with veggies and spices.