Pasi Paruppu Payasam Recipe – In other words, it is called moong dal kheer or payasam. For those who are not familiar Payasam is South Indian word for kheer. To be specific, this payasam is more popular in Kerala and Tamilnadu.
This easy to make and delicious paruppu payasam is made with jaggery and coconut milk. Since it is made with jaggery and not sugar, this is considered a healthy dessert, you can give to your kids too.
The color of the payasam depends on the what kind of jaggery you are using. So yours might be different than mine.
The addition of coconut milk imparts the beautiful flavor in the payasam and makes it creamy. Instead of coconut milk you can use regular milk too, but the taste will be different, but good.
As you know that moong dal is very light on stomach and easy to digest. And so this moong dal payasam is not heavy like other desserts.
How to make Paruppu Payasam Recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Heat the ghee in a pressure cooker on medium heat. Once hot add broken cashews.
2) Fry till they are golden brown, then drain the excess ghee and remove it to a plate.
3) In the same ghee add raisins.
4) They will plump up very quickly.
5) Remove it to the same plate. Do not over fry otherwise they become chewy.
6) Now in remaining ghee, add moong dal.
7) Dry roast with stirring constantly.
8) Roast for 3-4 minutes or till turn golden brown in color.
9) Now add thin coconut milk and mix. Cover with the lid, put the weight on and cook for 3 whistles.
10) Meantime, take jaggery in a bowl.
11) Add Hot boiling water in it and let it melt.
12) If not melting then you can pop it in microwave for few seconds or dissolve on stove top.
13) Now the pressure goes down, open the lid.
14) Lightly mash and mix the cooked dal.
15 )Now strain the melted jaggery into cooked dal. NOTE: if using jaggery powder which is clean then no need to melt and strain. Add directly. But if jaggery has impurities in it like mine, then you should melt and strain.
16) Mix it very well.
17) Turn the heat back on medium-low and let the mixture come to a simmer. Do not let it boil for longer.
18) Now add saffron and cardamom powder. Mix well.
19) Add thick coconut milk and mix. As soon as a boil comes, tun off the stove. Do not boil otherwise coconut milk may curdle.
20) Now garnish with fried cashews and raisins. Serve warm or chilled.
Serving suggestion: This pasi paruppu payasam is served as a dessert along with meal on special occasions or festivals. At many places, it is offered to the god as prasadam or neivedyam.
Paruppu Payasam Recipe (Moong Dal Kheer with Jaggery, Coconut Milk)
- 1 tablespoon Ghee (Clarified butter)
- 5-6 Cashew nuts , broken
- 8-10 Raisins
- ⅓ cup Yellow moong dal (Split and skinless) (Pasi paruppu or Pesara pappu)
- 1 cup Coconut milk (thin, 2nd or 3rd extract), If using canned use ½ cup coconut milk + ½ cup water)
- ½ cup Jaggery (Gur)
- ⅓ cup Water
- 3-4 strands Saffron lightly crushed
- ¼ teaspoon Green cardamom seeds powder
- ⅓ cup Coconut milk (thick, 1st extract)
Making moong dal kheer or pasi paruppu payasam recipe:
- Heat the ghee in a pressure cooker on medium heat and fry the cashews, raisins one by one, then drain the excess ghee and remove it to a plate.
- In the remaining ghee, roast the moong dal till it becomes golden brown in color.
- Mix in add thin coconut milk and cover the cooker with lid and cook for 3 whistles.
- Meantime, combine the jaggery and boiling hot water to melt and make jaggery syrup.
- Once dal is cooked and pressure is released, open the lid and slightly mix and mash the dal.
- Now strain the jaggery syrup directly into cooked dal and mix well.
- Turn the heat back on medium-low and bring it to a simmer.
- Mix in crushed saffron, cardamom seeds powder and thick coconut milk.
- Bring just one boil (Do not let it simmer or boil for longer) and turn off the stove.
- Garnish with fried cashews and raisins.