Homemade pizza sauce recipe – This is EASY to make tomato pizza sauce. This is made from fresh tomatoes, not canned tomato product.
For making this sauce, I have food processed the blanched tomatoes. So it stays chunky, which gives the best texture to the sauce.
If you like you can make smooth puree into grinder and then use in the recipe. It’s about the preferences, I prefer slightly chunky texture.
As I said earlier, this pizza sauce is made from fresh tomatoes. I do not use canned stuff in cooking. When it comes to tomato canned product, they have citric acid added in it. This gives weird sour/tangy taste which I do not like.
Also I do not prefer to use processed food in my kitchen, so I have avoided using canned tomato product. Rather I made this with fresh, ripe tomatoes.
Addition of fresh basil leaves gives distinct taste and flavor. If and only if fresh is not available then use dried version. You will notice huge difference in fresh vs dried.
How to make homemade pizza sauce recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) First wash the tomatoes with water. Make ‘+’ sign at the bottom of each tomato using knife.
2) Bring 5-6 cups of water to a rolling boil on high heat. Once it starts boiling add tomatoes and blanch for 3-4 minutes.
3) Then remove it from the water and let it cool to touch. You will notice that the skin has losen.
4) Once cooled to touch, remove the skin and discard. At this point if you want you can remove the seeds. I don’t mind eating seeds, so I have kept them.
5) Take the peeled tomatoes into food processor.
6) Process it till it is crushed. This is not smooth puree, Keep it little chunky.
7) Heat the olive oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add onions.
8) Saute till onions are translucent and soft.
9) Add chopped garlic and saute for 1 minute.
10) Then add crushed tomatoes and mix.
11) Add salt, pepper and red chilli flakes. Mix well and bring it to a boil.
12) Also add dried thyme and oregano.
13) Mix and continue cooking.
14) Simmer on low-medium heat for around 8-10 minutes. It will be slightly thick and no more watery. Taste and see if needed add sugar. It depends on the sourness of your tomatoes.
15) Now turn off the stove. Add teared up basil leaves.
16) Stir well to combine. Let it cool down.
Once cooled basic homemade pizza sauce is ready to use.
This can be stored in airtight container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days or you can freeze upto a month. So you can make double, triple or big batch and store in the fridge or freezer.
Homemade Pizza Sauce Recipe
- 6 medium Tomato
- 5-6 cups Water to blanch the tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- ¼ cup Onion finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon or 3 cloves Garlic finely chopped or minced
- Salt - to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon Black pepper powder or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Red chilli flakes or to taste
- 1 teaspoon Dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon Dried oregano
- 6-7 leaves Fresh basil teared up into small pieces
- ½ teaspoon Sugar
- *If fresh basil is not available then use 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- ** Instead of adding thyme, oregano and basil separately, you can use italian seasoning or spice mix.
Blanch the tomatoes.
- Wash the tomatoes with water. Make ‘+’ sign at the bottom of each tomato using knife.
- Bring 5-6 cups of water to a rolling boil on high heat.
- Once it starts boiling add tomatoes and blanch for 3-4 minutes.
- Then remove it from the water and let it cool to touch.
- Then remove the skin and discard.
- Take the peeled tomatoes into food processor.
- Process it till it is crushed. Do not make smooth puree, Keep it little chunky.
Making pizza sauce recipe:
- Heat the olive oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Once hot add onions. Saute till onions are translucent and soft.
- Add chopped garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Then add crushed tomatoes and mix.
- Add salt, pepper, red chilli flakes, dried thyme and oregano. Mix well.
- Simmer on low-medium heat for around 8-10 minutes. It will be slightly thick and no more watery.
- Taste and see if needed add sugar.
- Now turn off the stove.
- Add teared up basil leaves. Stir well to combine.
- Let it cool down.