A healthy, delicious sweet potato halwa recipe! This makes a perfect dessert for Hindu fasting (vrat or upvas). This halwa/sheera is made from boiled, mashed sweet potatoes, milk, and sugar. It is flavored with cardamom and nutmeg powder.
Sweet potatoes are known as Shakarkand in Hindi hence It is called shakarkandi ka halwa.
❤️You’ll Love This Recipe
It is a healthier version compared to other halwa recipes. How? Sweet potatoes are naturally sweet in taste, so we are adding very less amount of sugar here.
So whenever you crave something sweet but you want to go on a healthier route, make this halwa and enjoy.
The procedure is very easy. The only tough part is stirring constantly. Yes, you’ll have to stir continuously from start to finish. You’ll get good arm exercise.
Here is the pic of the ingredients used in making this delicious easy sweet potato halwa. You’ll need only 7 ingredients (Sweet potato, ghee, milk and sugar are main). Nutmeg and cardamom are added for flavor and aroma. Almonds are used for garnishing.
Sweet potatoes: I always prefer to use Indian sweet potato which has white flesh. You can use orange sweet potato which is widely available in American stores. I prefer the white one because it is sweeter than the orange one. If using orange, increase the sugar amount.
👩🍳Step By Step Photo Instructions
1) Boil the sweet potato in a pressure cooker (5-6 whistles) or Instant pot (manual 15 minutes). When cool to touch, peel and mash using a potato masher.
2) Heat the ghee in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add mashed sweet potatoes.
3) Mix and cook with stirring constantly until it becomes thick and leaves the sides of the pan.
4) Now add milk.
5) Mix and cook with stirring constantly.
6) Cook until all the moisture evaporates and leaves the sides of the pan.
7) Then add sugar, cardamom and nutmeg.
8) Mix, as sugar melts, it becomes loose and runny again.
9) Cook until it becomes thick again.
10) Lastly, add sliced almonds.
- To make it for babies or kids, you can use jaggery (or brown sugar) instead of sugar. This makes this dessert super healthy.
- You can add a pinch of saffron along with milk.
- You can add some grated coconut which adds some texture and bite to this sweet potato halwa.
Check Out Other Halwa Recipes For Vrat
PS Tried this shakarkandi ka halwa recipe? Please leave a star rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comment section. I always appreciate your feedback! Plus, Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook for all the latest updates.
📋 Recipe Card
Sweet Potato Halwa
- 1 large or 1 cup Sweet potatoes boiled, peeled and mashed
- 2 tablespoon Ghee (clarified butter)
- ½ cup Milk
- 2-3 tablespoons Sugar depends on the sweetness of sweet potato
- ¼ teaspoon Green cardamom seeds powder
- a pinch Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1-2 tablespoons Almonds or cashews, chopped
- Boil the sweet potato in a pressure cooker (5-6 whistles) or Instant pot (manual 15 minutes). When cool to touch, peel and mash using a potato masher.
- Heat the ghee in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add mashed sweet potatoes.
- Mix and cook with stirring constantly until it becomes thick and leaves the sides of the pan.
- Now add milk. Mix and cook until all the moisture evaporates and leaves the sides of the pan.
- Then add sugar, cardamom and nutmeg. Mix, as sugar melts, it becomes loose and runny again. Cook until it becomes thick again.
- Lastly, add sliced almonds.
they are so fantastic and very easy to make .