Singhare ke aate ka halwa recipe - it is usually made on Navratri fasting or vrat or any other religious fasting like Ekadashi or Mahashivratri or Krishna Janmashtami.
About This Recipe
This Singhare ka halwa is very easy and quick to make. All halwa or sheera making procedure is almost the same. The only difference is some required milk while some required water.
The key to making perfect halwa is always adding hot water or milk to avoid lumps. And always keep stirring continuously from beginning to end. Never leave it alone on the stove.
Singhare ka aata is called water chestnut flour in English. It is one of the flours that can be eaten during the fasting days. And I make many various dishes using this flour e.g Singhare ki kadhi, Singhare ki puri. Also, it is used in recipes like sweet potato tikki, farali batata vada and sabudana dosa.
I have added less sugar as at home we always prefer less sweet when it comes to any Indian dessert. But you can increase the sugar quantity as per your liking sweetness.
How to make Singhare ke aate ka halwa?
1) Heat the ghee in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add singhare ka atta, mix well.
2) Roast it with stirring continuously till it turns light brown in color. You will get nice aroma of roasted flour. It will take about 6-7 minutes. While roasting flour, put 1 cup of water to boil in another stove or heat it in the microwave.
3) Now add hot water to the mixture and stir as you add to avoid lumps. My water was not that hot as I boiled earlier and I was taking photos as well. So I get little lumps. But if you add hot boiling water then you won’t get any lumps.
4) Once water is almost absorbed (in about 2 minutes) add sugar. Mix well and keep stirring.
5) As sugar melts, it will become runny again and shiny.
6) Keep stirring and cooking till ghee starts to leave from the halwa. That time turn off the stove.
7) Finally, add cardamom powder and mix. Garnish it with almond slivers.
Halwa or sheera is ready to serve. Singhare ke aate ka halwa tastes best when served warm.
Serving suggestion: Enjoy this singhare ka halwa as a dessert along with your meal on regular day or on fasting day.
📋 Recipe Card
Singhare Ke Aate Ka Halwa (Sheera)
- ½ cup Ghee (Clarified butter)
- ½ cup Singhare ka atta (Water chestnut flour)
- 1 cup Water (Boiling hot)
- ⅓ to ½ cup Sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon Green cardamom seeds powder
- Almonds or cashews, chopped for garnishing
- Heat the ghee in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add singhare ka aata, mix well.
- Roast it with stirring continuously till it turns light brown in color. You will get a nice aroma of roasted flour. It will take about 6-7 minutes. While roasting flour,
- On the other side, put 1 cup of water to boil on another stove or heat it in the microwave.
- Now add hot water to the mixture and stir as you add to avoid lumps.
- Once water is almost absorbed (in about 2 minutes) add sugar.
- Mix well and keep stirring and cooking until ghee starts to leave from the halwa.
- That time turn off the stove.
- Finally, add cardamom powder and mix.
- Garnish it with almond slivers.