Vada pav recipe – one of the popular snack from Mumbai, Maharashtra. This is loved by everyone whether kids or adults.
As per wiki, one of the vendors (Ashok Vaidya) of Dadar station was selling batata vada and poha. One day, he decided to put the vada between the pav with garlic chutney and that became a hit. And now it is very popular all over the India (in many stalls and restaurants).
In the step by step recipe, I have shown the mumbai style of making wada pav. I have also mentioned another method which I have eaten in Gujarat.
When I was in India, I used to eat vada pav at least once a week. Yes, I was that addicted along with dabeli. At that time, I liked to eat at only one place in Ahmedabad (R.K center at Vijay cross road). They had the BEST. Nowadays I think there are many new, good stalls present.
After coming to the USA, I do not find good one that satisfy my crave. So I occasionally make this at home.
Many times, instead of ladi pav, I use hamburger buns.
I mostly make it the way mentioned in #2. But here I wanted to share the authentic version which I tried in Mumbai when I went there for my visa interview.
How to make vada pav recipe (Step by Step Photos):
3) Let’s start assembling. Take ladi pavs.
4) Slit into half horizontally and keep the one side connected.
5) Spread green chutney both sides.
6) Now spread tamarind date chutney.
7) followed by dry garlic chutney.
8) Put the warm batata vada and using your fingers slightly mash it/press it.
9) and close the pav. Repeat the same for rest of the pav.
Serving suggestion: Serve as a snack with fried green chili on side. If needed you can serve more chutneys on the side too.
Method#2 (This is how I grew up eating in Ahmedabad, Gujarat)
- Heat tava or pan on medium heat. Add a tablespoon of butter.
- Once butter is melted, add 2-3 teaspoons of dry garlic chutney and mix.
- Now put the slit ladi pav (inside part on tawa) on this mixture. Pav will soak up all the butter and chutney. Toast it for some time. Then remove it to a plate.
- Proceed with same assembling procedure. Apply green chutney, followed by tamarind date chutney. Now you can skip the garlic chutney since we already added while toasting pav.
- Put the batata vada and close. Serve right away.
Vada pav recipe
- First, prepare all three chutneys. I usually make them a day before.
- Now make batata vada.
Making vada pav recipe:
- Take ladi pavs. Slit into half horizontally and keep the one side connected.
- Spread green chutney both sides.
- Now spread tamarind date chutney.
- followed by dry garlic chutney.
- Put the warm batata vada and using your fingers slightly mash it.
- and close the pav.
- Repeat the same for rest of the pav.