Eggless chocolate mousse has nice light, airy and smooth texture. We have used real chocolate and addition of coffee just brings out the chocolate flavor. It is very chocolaty and perfect for chocolate lovers. There is no gelatin in mousse, so it is purely vegetarian chocolate mousse.
It is kind of heavy dessert because of cream in it. So adjust the serving size accordingly. If serving as a dessert after heavy meal then this recipe makes 4 serving. Otherwise it makes 2 servings generously.
It is very easy and quick to make. If making for special guests then make ahead of time and let the refrigerator do its work. And when you ready serve just pop them out from fridge. And your guests will be impressed.
Few things that you need to keep in mind while making this mousse. You have to be careful while melting chocolate. Because chocolate burns very fast and burned chocolate does not taste good at all. Other thing is that be careful while whipping the cream, if you over whip the cream it will get curdle. I have explained in detail in instructions as well as in tips.
- Semisweet chocolate – 6 oz **Notes
- Butter – 2 tablespoons
- Brewed coffee – 2 ½ tablespoons
- Cold Heavy whipping cream – 1 cup **Notes
- Pure vanilla extract – ½ teaspoon
- Semi sweet chocolate – I have used 6 oz semi-sweet chocolate bar. But you can use 1 cup of semisweet chocolate chips instead.
- Heavy whipping cream - You can use ‘Malai’ which you get from top of milk. And if using store bought heavy whipping cream like I did here, make sure that cream has more than 35% fat content. So it gets whipped nicely.
- Take semi sweet chocolate, butter and coffee in heat proof bowl.
- Put that bowl on top of simmering water saucepan or double boiler. Make sure that water is not touching to the bottom of the top bowl. Melt the chocolate completely and stir continuously. Remove it from double boiler and let it cool completely for about 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile whip the cream. Take cold heavy whipping cream in a bowl.
- Whip it till you get soft peaks using hand mixer or stand mixer or by hand with wire whisk.
- Add vanilla extract.
- And whip it again. Don’t whip too much.
- Now take ¼ of whipped cream in another bowl and keep in refrigerator for garnishing. And ¾ of whipped cream will be needed for mousse.
- If melted chocolate mixture is cooled completely, add third of whipped cream to it
- And fold in gently. (We do not want to deflate the whipped cream.)
- Then add another third of cream and fold. Then add remaining whipped cream and fold gently. It will be very airy in texture.
- Then divide in individual serving glass or bowl. Keep in refrigerator for 2 hours to set.
- Then you can pipe whipped cream or just add dollop of it on it. Use that ¼ of cream that we saved earlier.
- Keep refrigerated till serving.
Shelf life – it can be kept in refrigerator up to 2 days.
Serving suggestions – serve it as a dessert and impress your special guests.
- Make sure that water of double boiler is just on simmering not boiling.
- Water should not touch to the bottom of the chocolate mixture pan.
- For easy process of whipping cream, keep bowl and whisk in freezer for 15 minutes before whipping and keep whipping cream very cold.
- Do not over beat the whipping cream. We need just soft peaks.
- Fold whipped cream in chocolate very very gently. Because we don’t want to lose airy texture.
How beautiful it looks. As I am writing, I am salivating here. What are you waiting for?? Get in your kitchen and make this delicious eggless chocolate mousse. Check out other eggless mousse recipes – Eggless Mango mousse | Eggless white chocolate strawberry mousse