Kala chana chaat recipe – Healthy chaat or snack made with boiled black chickpeas. few veggies and spices are added.
Kala chana chaat recipe
Ingredients for kala chana chaat recipe:
- 1 cup Dry Kala chana (black chickpeas or desi chana) boiled
- ¼ cup Onion finely chopped
- ¼ cup Tomato finely chopped
- ¼ cup Potatoes boiled, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Raw mango (Unripe mango) finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon Black salt (Kala namak)
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Chaat masala
- ½ teaspoon Amchur powder (Dried mango powder)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon Cilantro or coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Mint leaves finely chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons Lemon juice
- Take boiled black chickpeas in a bowl.
- Add onion, tomato, potato and raw mango. Mix well.
- Add spice powders (red chili powder, black salt, chaat masala, amchur and salt). Mix very well.
- Then add chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves.
- Lastly squeeze fresh lemon juice. Stir well.
- Taste the spoonful of it and adjust the salt or spices or lemon accordingly.
I have already shared one more healthy chaat on this blog – oats chaat.
Whenever I make kala chana curry, I always boil little extra chana and keep in the fridge. So next day I can make this healthy snack.
This is not the recipe, I have shared the idea or procedure to make the healthy snack. As you can adjust or skip or add the ingredients as per you liking taste. So don’t go for exact measurements. You like more spicy, add more chili powder or add green chilies. Like more tangy, add more lemon juice. Don’t like potatoes in chaat, skip it. Like more tomatoes, add little extra. Don’t like kala chana, use other beans like black beans.
In short, everything is adjustable in this kala chana chaat recipe. So go with your palate and make it how you like it or how your family like to eat.
This chana chaat has tangy and spicy taste. The flavors will tempt you to eat more and more.
How to make kala chana chaat recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Take boiled black chickpeas in a bowl.
2) Add onion, tomato, potato and raw mango.
3) Mix well.
4) Add spice powders (red chili powder, black salt, chaat masala, amchur and salt).
5) Mix very well. So all the spices are coated to chana and veggies.
6) Then add chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves.
7) Lastly squeeze fresh lemon juice.
8) Stir well. Taste the spoonful of it and adjust the salt or spices or lemon accordingly.
This black chickpeas chaat can be served cold or at room temperature or warm. I prefer to have it cold.
Serving suggestions: Serve as an afternoon snack. Or pack into kids lunchbox.
- Raw mangoes are optional. But if it is in season or you have it available, please use it. It provides different tang to the chaat. You won’t get this tangy flavor with amchur or lemon juice.
- You can add chopped cucumber or grated carrot as well.
- Just for you record, how to boil the kala chana? Wash ½ cup of dried kala chana well under running cold water. Soak in enough water for overnight or at least 8 hours. Then discard the water. Take chana in the pressure cooker with fresh 1 ½ cups of water. Cook it for 2 whistles on high + 30 mins on low heat. Let the pressure go down by itself. Open the lid. Drain the chana and use in the recipe.
- Do not throw away the water you get after boiling the chana. It has some nutritions in it. Use in making dal, soup. Or use while kneading the chapati dough.
- Instead of black chickpeas, you can use white chickpeas (kabuli chana) or green chickpeas or black beans or black eyed peas.