Kala chana curry recipe (Black chana recipe) - Boiled black chickpeas are simmered in healthy, flavorful tomato gravy. This kala chana recipe is made without onion garlic.
This kala chana curry has a slightly tangy or sour taste. It comes from the tomatoes as well as from the addition of amchur powder. This flavor goes perfect with chana.
Always use ripe tomatoes otherwise, the gravy will taste too sour. If you have slightly sour tomatoes, reduce the amchur powder quantity.
Besan is added here. This helps to a make thick gravy. It also adds the nutty flavor.
I grew up eating sookha kala chana. Just because my mom always makes it and pair it with rice, kadhi, and roti as a comfort meal. But recently, hubby asked me to make kala chana made with tomato gravy just like his mom makes it. Immediately, I call my mother-in-law and wrote down the recipe. I made it and oh boy, I just loved it.
The only change I made is the addition of ginger. She always makes Jain dishes so there was no ginger in the original recipe. So if you want to make it Jain recipe, please skip the ginger. Also, this is no onion no garlic recipe.
This requires 8 hours or overnight soaking which reduces the cooking time. Bad at pre-planning? What if you forgot to soak?
Here is the quick soaking method: take washed kala chana in a pan, add plenty of water. Bring to a boil and let it boil for 5 minutes. Then turn off the stove. Cover with lid and let it rest for 1 hour. After 1 hour discard the water and use the chana to pressure cook.
Being low in fat, high in dietary fiber and rich in vitamins and minerals, black chickpeas can indeed be a healthy addition to your diet. It is family favorite beans, Hence you will find many recipes using kala chana.
How to make kala chana curry recipe?
1) Wash dry kala chana under running cold water till water runs clear.
2) Add enough water and soak for at least 8 hours or overnight.
3) After the soaking time, it gets larger in size.
4) Now discard the soaking water, take chana to pressure cooker. Add new 1 ½ cups of water. Cover with the lid, turn the heat and pressure cook it for 2 whistles on High + 30 minutes on medium-low.
Let the pressure go down by itself then open the lid. Chana should be cooked all the way through and soft. If you press it between thumb and finger, it should mash easily. Keep it aside.
5) While chana is pressure cooking, make the tomato puree. Take 2 tomatoes and roughly chop them. Also, chop ginger and green chilies.
6) Make smooth puree using tomato, ginger and green chilies in blender or grinder. Keep it aside.
7) Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add cumin seeds. Let them sizzle a bit.
8) Then add besan. and immediately stir it and cook for 1 minute. You will get a nutty toasted aroma of besan. Be careful, do not let the flour get burn.
9) Now add prepared tomato puree.
10) Also add salt, red chili powder, and coriander powder.
11) Mix well and let it come to a simmer.
12) Keep cooking with stirring occasionally till all the moisture is evaporated and it becomes like a thick paste.
13) Now add garam masala and amchur powder.
14) Mix well and cook for a minute.
15) Now add boiled chana with its water.
16) Mix well. If needed, you can extra water to make gravy consistency. I have added another ½ cup of water.
17) Let the gravy come to a simmer and let it simmer for 4-5 minutes.
18) Now turn off the stove. Lastly sprinkle chopped coriander leaves and mix.
kala chana curry is ready to serve. If not serving it right away then keep it covered, so it stays warm till the time of serving.
Kala chana curry recipe
For pressure cooking:
- ¾ cup Dry Kala chana (black chickpeas or desi chana)
- 1 ½ cups Water
To make puree:
- 2 medium Tomato
- 2 small Green chili
- ½ inch Ginger
For kala chana curry:
- 1 ½ tablespoons Oil
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon Besan (gram flour)
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons Coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon Garam masala
- 1 teaspoon Amchur powder (Dried mango powder)
- ½ to 1 cup Water
- 2 tablespoons Cilantro or coriander leaves chopped finely
Preparation and cooking chana:
- Wash the chana under running cold water and soak for 8 hours or overnight.
- Then discard the soaking water and take soaked chana into a pressure cooker.
- Add fresh 1 ½ cups of water. Cover with the lid, pressure cook it for 2 whistles on High + 30 minutes on medium-low.
- Let the pressure go down by itself then open the lid. Check the chana by pressing between thumb and finger, it should mash easily.
- To make tomato puree, take chopped tomatoes, ginger, green chilies into a grinder and make a smooth puree.
Making kala chana curry recipe:
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add cumin seeds and let them sizzle a bit.
- Then add besan and immediately stir it and cook for 1 minute.
- Add prepared tomato puree, salt, red chili powder and coriander powder. Mix well and let it cook till the moisture is evaporated and you get a thick paste. Do stir occasionally.
- Mix in garam masala and amchur powder and cook for a minute.
- Now add boiled chana with its water + more 1/2 cup of water.
- Mix and let the gravy simmer for 4-5 minutes. Now turn off the stove.
- Lastly, sprinkle chopped coriander leaves and mix.