Paneer Bhurji Recipe – North Indian breakfast recipe made with crumbled paneer, onion, tomato, green pepper and basic spices.
For those who are not familiar with it. Bhurji meaning crumbled or scrambled. There are many variations in making bhurji like egg bhurji, tofu bhurji, paneer matar bhurji, palak paneer bhurji.
This recipe is quick and easy to make. You are not in mood of cooking elaborated meal. And you have store bought or homemade paneer in the fridge. This is the right time to make bhurji. It will be ready in 20-25 minutes. Also make some roti or paratha to go with it, or simply serve with plain or toasted bread or pav. Dinner will be ready in jiffy.
This is dry version. I do make paneer bhurji gravy version as well. Usually I make gravy one as a meal with paratha or naan. Both versions tastes fantastic. Its all about the preferences.
How to make paneer bhurji recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add cumin seeds. Let them sizzle.
2) Then add chopped onions. Sprinkle some salt to speed up the process.
3) Mix well.
4) Cook till onions get soft and translucent.
5) Add ginger paste, garlic paste and green chilies
6) Mix and saute for a minute.
7) Then mix in chopped tomatoes.
8) Cook till tomatoes are soft (not mushy).
9) Then add bell pepper.
10) Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
11) Add red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and garam masala.
12) Mix well and cook for a minute.
13) Add crumbled paneer.
14) Stir well and cook for only 2-3 minutes. Don’t cook paneer for longer time, otherwise it gets chewy. Turn off the stove.
15) Squeeze lemon juice.
16) Sprinkle chopped cilantro. Stir well.
Serve warm or hot.
Serving suggestion: Usually/Traditionally this paneer bhurji is served as a breakfast with toasted bread or pav. You can have it with a hot cup of tea or coffee. If serving this as a meal then serve onion lachha salad on side with naan or roti or paratha.
Use the bhurji as a stuffing for sandwiches. Make paneer bhurji wrap: spread some green chutney on chapati or paratha or store bought wrap, stuff with bhurji, add sliced onions and roll it.
Paneer bhurji recipe
Ingredients for paneer bhurji recipe:
- 1-2 tablespoons Oil
- ¼ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- ½ cup Onion chopped
- 1 Green chili finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Ginger paste or freshly grated or crushed
- 1 teaspoon Garlic paste or freshly grated
- ½ Tomato finely chopped
- ½ cup Capsicum (Green bell pepper) chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon Coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon Garam masala
- 150 grams Paneer crumbled
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Cilantro or coriander leaves finely chopped
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Once hot add cumin seeds. Let them sizzle.
- Then add chopped onions. Sprinkle some salt and cook till onions get soft and translucent.
- Add ginger paste, garlic paste and green chilies. Mix and saute for a minute.
- Then mix in chopped tomatoes. Cook till tomatoes are soft (not mushy).
- Then add bell pepper. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and garam masala. Mix well and cook for a minute.
- Add crumbled paneer. Stir well and cook for only 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off the stove.
- Squeeze lemon juice.
- Sprinkle chopped cilantro. Stir well.