रेसिपी को हिन्दी में पढ़े
Masala khichdi recipe – made with rice and toor dal. It is flavored with basic spices and ginger-garlic.
Masala khichdi is spiced with regular and basic spices. Only onions are added here. No other vegetables are added. So not much chopping is required for this recipe. The flavors are coming from the whole spices and ginger-garlic paste.
The texture of it is slightly mushy and soft. It has melt in your mouth kind texture. It is not like pulao or biryanis where rice grains are separated.
It is healthy and ultimate comfort meal. I usually make it once a week as a dinner. I do pair it with gujarati kadhi. this combo is very light on stomach and very easy to digest. Whenever we had heavy, indulging lunch; the same day I make this meal combo for dinner.
For making masala khichdi, usually short grain rice is used. But I had long grain rice available in the pantry, so I have used that. You can use any, doesn’t matter.
Ghee or clarified butter is essential while making any kind of khichdi recipe. But here, I have used oil, still it taste delicious. You can use ghee as well.
How to make Masala khichdi recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Wash dal and rice under running cold water till water runs clear.
2) Soak them in enough water for 15 minutes. Meantime, prepare rest of the ingredients. Now after soaking time, drain the dal-rice and discard the water.
3) Heat the oil in a pressure cooker on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds. Let them pop.
4) Then add cumin seeds, let them sizzle a bit.
5) Then add whole spices (cloves, peppercorns and cinnamon stick). Saute for 30-40 seconds or till you get the nice aroma of spices. Then add ginger garlic paste and saute for 30 seconds or till the raw smell of ginger garlic goes away.
6) Then add chopped onion.
7) Cook for 2-3 minutes or till the onions get soft and translucent.
8) Then add turmeric powder, red chili powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and salt.
9) Mix well and cook for a minute.
10) Then add drained dal-rice mixture.
11) Mix well.
12) Add water.
13) Cover the cooker with lid, put the weight on. Cook for 3 whistles on medium-high heat. Then turn off the stove. Let the pressure go down by itself and then open the lid.
14) Stir well before serving. As you stir, it will get mushy and soft.
Lastly sprinkle chopped coriander leaves and serve. To get the best taste, masala khichdi must be served warm.
Serving suggestion: Serve with kadhi. This is the best combination. Alternately it can be served with plain yogurt (Dahi or curd). Serve some mango pickle or pickled chili and roasted papad to make it a complete meal.
- ½ cup Short grain rice
- ½ cup Arhar dal (toor dal or split pigeon peas)
- 2 tablespoons Ghee (clarified butter) or oil
- ½ teaspoon Mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 2 Cloves
- ¼ inch Cinnamon stick
- 2-3 Black peppercorns
- 1 Dried red chilies
- 1 teaspoon Ginger paste or freshly grated or crushed
- 1 teaspoon Garlic paste or freshly grated
- 1 Green chili chopped finely
- ½ cup Onion chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons Red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon Coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon Cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 ½ cups Water
- 1-2 tablespoons Cilantro or coriander leaves finely chopped
- Wash dal and rice under running cold water till water runs clear.
- Soak them in enough water for 15 minutes. Meantime, prepare rest of the ingredients.
- Now after soaking time, drain the dal-rice and discard the water.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds. Let them pop.
- Then add cumin seeds, let them sizzle a bit.
Then add whole spices. Saute for 30-40 seconds. Then add ginger garlic paste and cook for 30 seconds.
- Then add chopped onion. Cook for 2-3 minutes or till the onions get soft and translucent.
- Then add spice powders and salt. Mix well and cook for a minute.
- Then add drained dal-rice mixture. Mix well.
- Add water and stir.
- Cover the cooker with lid, put the weight on. Cook for 3 whistles on medium-high heat.
- Then turn off the stove. Let the pressure go down by itself and then open the lid.
- Stir well before serving. As you stir, it will get mushy and soft.
- Lastly sprinkle chopped coriander leaves.