Vegetable Dalia Khichdi Recipe - This one is healthy yet delicious one pot meal. It is made from broken wheat (aka bulgur) and split yellow moong dal along with veggies and few spices.
Dalia is north indian term and Fada (lapsi) is the Gujarati term. It is also called by names broken wheat, cracked wheat or bulgur. At home, we call it fada khichdi.
Broken wheat is high in fiber, low in calorie and full of nutrients. It is light on stomach and very easy to digest. If you are sick or have upset stomach, this should be in your menu. If making on such cases, reduce the spices or skip.
Because dalia is little bland in taste and many people do not like it. So here I have added few spices and veggies to make it flavorful and tasty.
I have used tomatoes, capsicum, carrot and peas as a mixture of vegetables. But you can use any mix e.g. cauliflower, broccoli, bottle gourd, zucchini, spinach, cabbage, green beans etc.
In this dalia recipe have skipped using onions and garlic. So this is no onion no garlic recipe. This is also vegan recipe.
The consistency of this vegetable dalia khichdi is little runny compared to regular moong dal khichdi. It is like porridge. This is how we prefer at home. But if you like little thick than reduce the water amount.
Other than savory dish, this is used in making sweet dishes like lapsi, sweet dalia.
Step By Step Photo Instructions:
1) Take dalia and moong dal in a bowl.
2) Rinse them 2-3 times or till water is not more cloudy. Or wash them under running cold water.
3) Heat the oil in a pressure cooker on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds and let them crackle. Then add cumin seeds and let them sizzle a bit.
4) Now add chopped green chili and ginger. Saute for 30 seconds or till the raw smell of ginger goes away.
5) Add tomatoes, carrot, peas and capsicum.
6) Mix well and cook for a minute.
7) Add salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala.
8) Mix well and cook for a minute.
9) Add washed dalia and moong dal.
10) Mix well.
11) Add water. Cover the cooker with lid and put the weight on.
12) Cook for 4 whistles on medium heat. Then let the pressure go down by itself, open the lid. Mix using spatula.
13) Lastly add chopped coriander leaves.
14) Mix and it is ready to serve.
Did you try this dalia khichdi recipe? I’d love to hear about it! Leave a review in the comment section below.
- ⅓ cup Dalia (Fada or Broken wheat or Cracked wheat or Bulgur)
- ⅓ cup Yellow moong dal (split and skinless)
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- ½ teaspoon Mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 Green chili chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon Ginger chopped finely (Or use ginger paste)
- ½ cup Tomato chopped
- ½ cup Green peas
- ½ cup Capsicum (green bell pepper) chopped
- ½ cup Carrot chopped
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon Garam masala
- 2 ½ cups Water
- 2 tablespoons Cilantro or coriander leaves chopped finely
- Wash or rinse the broken wheat and moong dal together.
- Heath oil in a pressure cooker on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds and cumin seeds, let them crackle.
- Now saute in green chili and ginger for 30-40 seconds.
- Mix in veggies (tomato, peas, capsicum, carrot) and cook for a minute.
- Add salt and spice powders (turmeric, red chili, coriander powder and garam masala), mix very well.
- Add washed dalia and moong dal. Mix well.
- Add water and stir.
- Cover the cooker with lid, put the weight on and cook for 4 whistles on medium heat.
- Once pressure releases, open the lid.
- Add cilantro, mix and serve.