Capsicum raita is a simple side that’s full of flavor and pairs perfectly with biryani, pulao or paratha. Plus, it’s very easy to make! Another plus, it’s very quick to make! Yes, it will be ready in 10 minutes only.
Capsicum is known as Shimla mirch in hindi. So it is called shimla mirch raita.
This capsicum raita is different than our usual raitas. We usually add raw chopped veggies in the yogurt to make raita e.g. onion tomato raita, cucumber raita, mint raita, vegetable raita. But here we are going to sauté the bell peppers in the oil before adding to the yogurt.
Just like any other raita, it has refreshing and bright fresh flavors!
Usually yogurt based dishes like raita, lassi, chaas are consumed during summer season because it has cooling effect. But in my family we consume all year around. Hence sharing this capsicum raita during the winter season.
Ingredients for Capsicum Raita Recipe:
- Homemade yogurt (Curd /
dahi) or store bought
- Capsicum (Peppers)
- Cumin seeds
- Red chili powder
- Roasted cumin powder (Dry roast the cumin seeds till aromatic and lightly browned, then grind into powder)
- Black salt
- Fresh herbs (cilantro and mint leaves)
How to make Capsicum Raita Recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1)Heat the oil in a small pan on medium heat. Once hot add cumin seeds and let them sizzle, they get light brown color.
2) Now add chopped capsicum.
3) Mix and cook till they get slightly soft. How long to cook? It depends on how you like your capsicum. I prefer slightly crunchy, so I cooked till they are 80% soft. Many prefers soft and completely cooked.
4) While capsicum is cooking, take yogurt in a bowl, add spice powders (red chili powder, roasted cumin powder, black salt
5) Add cooked capsicum and mix.
6) Garnish with cilantro and mint leaves.
Raita taste best when served chilled. So keep in refrigerator till the time of serving. Also start with chilled yogurt from refrigerator.
You can make it few hours ahead of time and keep refrigerated.
Serving Ideas for Capsicum Raita:
It pairs well with
- Biryani (veg biryani // baby potato biryani // paneer biryani)
- Pulao (veg pulao, // tawa pulao)
- Khichdi (masala khichdi // vegetable khichdi)
- Rice dish (methi rice // palak rice // sweet corn rice)
- Paratha (aloo paratha // methi paratha // matar paratha)
Variations for making shimla mirch raita:
- Add 2 tablespoons of finely chopped cucumber for more refreshing flavor
- Substitute pan sautéed bell peppers with oven roasted peppers to get smokey charred flavor
- Sauté couple of tablespoons of chopped onions along with capsicum.
Check out other capsicum recipes
Capsicum Raita Recipe for Biryani (Shimla Mirch Raita)
- 2 teaspoons Oil
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- ½ cup Capsicum (Green bell pepper) or colored bell peppers, chopped
- 1 cup Plain yogurt (Curd or dahi)
- ¼ teaspoon Red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon Roasted cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon Black salt
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon Cilantro or coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Mint leaves finely chopped
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Add cumin seeds into hot oil and let them sizzle.
- Then sauté capsicum till they are soft yet crunchy.
- Take yogurt, red chili powder, roasted cumin powder, black salt and salt in a bowl.
- Whisk till yogurt is smooth.
- Mix in cooked capsicum, cilantro and mint leaves.
- Keep refrigerated till the time of serving.