Lauki Barfi Recipe – Simple, easy to make and delicious barfi or burfi recipe made using bottle gourd, milk, sugar and khoya. For the flavoring, cardamom powder and rose water are added.
Many people do eat bottle gourd during Hindu fasting like navratri. If making for that occasion, one should avoid the store bought khoya since it may have preservative or additives in it.
The khoya or mawa helps the burfi to set, so we can cut into nice pieces without falling apart. It also makes the texture of the lauki barfi dense and this is what we are looking for.
The one we get from the stores has green food color added which looks more vibrant. Since I do not like adding food colors in my cooking, I have not added any here.
How to make Lauki Barfi Recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Grease the thali or tray using ghee and keep it aside. I have used 8×8 inch glass pyrex dish. Peel the lauki and cut into half vertically. Scoop out and discard the center soft part which has seeds. I have again cut into small pieces so it can fit into my food processor tube.
2) Now grate it using box grater or use food processor to speed up the process.
3) Heat 2 tablespoons of ghee in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add grated lauki and cook.
4) Keep sauteing and keep stirring occasionally. Cook till it is soft and there is no moisture left. It took me around 8 minutes.
5) Now add milk and bring it to a boil. Let it simmer on medium-low heat.
6) Do stir and scrape the sides and bottom of the pan, so milk doesn’t stick to the pan.
7) Cook till all the milk is evaporated and you will have tiny milk solid grains into the mixture.
8) Now mix in remaining 2 tablespoons of ghee.
9) Now add grated khoya.
10) Mix and cook for 2-3 minutes or till the khoya is melted and incorporated well.
11) Now add sugar and green cardamom powder.
12) Mix well and as sugar gets heated up, it will melt and the mixture becomes thin and runny.
13) Keep stirring and cooking till mixture becomes thick and it leaves the sides of the pan. You may notice slight ghee is oozing out from the sides. This took me around 10 minutes
14) Now turn off the stove. Add chopped cashews.
15) Also add rose water and mix well.
16) Dump the mixture into greased tray and spread out evenly. Smooth out the top using back of the spoon.
17) Now sprinkle sliced almonds. Using back of spoon or your hand, slightly press the almonds into barfi mixture. So it sticks to it.
18) Cover and let it set for few hours. Once set, grease the sharp knife using ghee and cut into squares. Carefully remove the burfi pieces and it is ready to serve.
You can store in airtight container in refrigerator for 3-4 days. Shelf life depends on the climate where you live.
Serving suggestion: Enjoy a piece of lauki barfi as a dessert along with your meal or after meal. During diwali festival, It can be served to the guests along with savory diwali snacks.
Lauki Barfi Recipe (How to make Lauki Burfi Recipe)
- 800 grams or 4 cups Lauki (bottle gourd or dudhi) , Loosely packed
- 2 + 2 tablespoons Ghee (clarified butter)
- 2 ½ cups Milk
- 150 grams or 1 cup Khoya (Mawa) , grated or crumbled and tightly packed
- ¾ cup Sugar
- ¼ teaspoon Green cardamom seeds powder
- ¼ cup Cashew nuts chopped
- 1 teaspoon Rose water
- ¼ cup Almonds sliced, for garnishing on top
- Grease the tray or thali using ghee and keep it aside.
- Peel the bottle gourd, scoop out the center soft part with seeds and grate it. For grating purpose use box grater or food processor.
Making Lauki Barfi Recipe:
- Heat the 2 tablespoons of ghee in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add grated lauki and saute till it is soft and moisture free.
- Then add milk and simmer till all the milk is evaporated and the mixture become almost dry and thick.
- Now mix in remaining ghee and cook for a minute.
- Then add khoya, mix and cook till it is melted and incorporated well.
- Now mix in sugar and cardamom powder. As sugar melts, mixture becomes thin and runny, continue stirring and cooking till it becomes thick and leave the sides of the pan.
- This time turf off the stove and mix in chopped cashews and rose water.
- Pour the mixture into greased tray and spread out evenly.
- Sprinkle sliced almonds and slightly press so it sticks to the burfi mixture.
- Cover and let it set for few hours, then cut into square pieces using greased, sharp knife.