This Gajar ki barfi is a rich Indian sweet aka mithai. Gajar means carrot in English hence it is called carrot burfi. This gajar barfi is made from condensed milk, heavy cream. khoya and of course grated carrot.
Diwali festival season is going to start soon. So I have made carrot burfi this weekend along with other diwali recipes and I am sharing this recipe here. This is a big batch, I got 16 thick barfi pieces. It is too much for the two of us. We had a couple of pieces and rest he took to his office. His colleagues loved it and everything vanished in minutes.
This gajar ki barfi is the modified version of the popular gajar ka halwa. The ingredients used for making barfi are almost the same as the halwa recipe. But the proportion is different, so the halwa will set and you can cut into pieces.
The khoya makes the barfi rich and heavy. A piece of it is enough for one person. Of course, no one is stopping you to have another piece. But moderation is the key to a healthy life.
The texture of barfi should be dense and fudge-like. To get this texture, we are using a good amount of khoya or mawa. As it cools, mawa will help the barfi to set properly.
This carrot burfi is made with sweetened condensed milk which provides the sweetness as well as creamy and smooth texture. If we have added milk and sugar instead of condensed milk, we need to cook for a very long time to evaporate the milk. So this condensed milk aka mithai mate saves our lots of time during this festive season.
How to make Gajar Ki Barfi Recipe?
1) Grease the 8×8 inch pan or any thali with high sides using ghee. Keep it aside till needed.
2) Wash the carrots well. Scrape the outside or peel them if needed. Grate the carrots using a box grater. This is a large quantity, so I have done it in a food processor. Take grated carrots in a pan. Turn the heat on medium heat.
3) Add heavy cream.
4) Also, add sweetened condensed milk and sugar.
5) Mix well.
6) Let it come to a simmer.
7) Cook till all the moisture is evaporated.
8) By this time gajar will also get tender. It took me 20-25 minutes.
9) Now add khoya.
10) Mix well and cook for 7-8 minutes or till it becomes thick
11) Lastly, add cardamom powder and raisins.
12) Mix well and turn off the stove.
13) Remove it to the prepared pan, smooth out the surface as evenly as possible. Sprinkle chopped pistachios and lightly press it so pistachios stick to the barfi.
14) Let it cool down completely and let it set. Then make the pieces using sharp knife. This gave me 16 thick pieces of carrot burfi.
Carefully remove the carrot burfi pieces and arrange them on a serving plate or keep them in an airtight container.
Serving suggestion: Enjoy this gajar ki barfi as a dessert after a meal or along with your meal. My family like to have a piece of barfi with a meal on a special occasion or festival.
Gajar Ki Barfi Recipe (Carrot Burfi)
- 10 large or 750 grams or 5 ½ cups Carrot
- ½ cup Heavy whipping cream or fresh cream or malai
- 200 grams or ½ cup + 2 tablespoons or ½ can or 7 oz Sweetened condensed milk
- ¼ cup Sugar
- ½ cup Khoya (Mawa) grated or crumbled
- ½ teaspoon Green cardamom seeds powder
- 2 tablespoons Raisins
- 2 tablespoons Pistachios or almonds or cashews, chopped for garnishing on top
- Grease the 8×8 inch pan or any thali with high sides using ghee. Keep it aside till needed.
- Wash the carrots well. Scrape the outside or peel them if needed.
- Grate the carrots using a box grater. This is a large quantity, so I have done it in a food processor.
Making carrot burfi recipe:
- Take grated carrots, heavy cream, sweetened condensed milk and sugar in a pan, mix well. Turn the heat on medium heat.
- Let it come to a simmer and cook till all the moisture is evaporated. It took me 20-25 minutes.
- Now add khoya. Mix well and cook for 7-8 minutes or till it becomes thick
- Lastly, add cardamom powder and raisins. Mix well
- Turn off the stove.
- Remove it to the prepared pan, smooth out the surface as evenly as possible.
- Sprinkle chopped pistachios and lightly press it so pistachios stick to the burfi.
- Let it cool down completely and let it set.
- Then make the pieces using a sharp knife.