This dry fruits modak is a simple and QUICK version that takes only 10 minutes. There is no cooking required. You will need the ingredients and grinder or food processor.
The modak mixture is made with nuts, dates, raisins, and dry coconut. And then it is shaped into modak using moulds.
Modak is offered to Lord Ganesh during the Ganesh Chaturthi festival. This festival lasts for 10 days and so I have compiled a list of 10 different modak recipes here on the blog. So each and every day I can offer different verities to bappa.
Apart from the modaks, ladoo and few savory dishes are also offered to Lord Ganesha. You can check out the complete list of Ganesh Chaturthi recipes.
How to make dry fruits modak?
1) First, take almonds and cashews in the grinder or food processor. If you want you can dry roast them as well, but not mandatory.
2) Make a powder out of it by pulsing them.
3) Now add dates and raisins.
4) Also add dry coconut.
5) Again pulse it and make a coarse mixture.
6) Now add ghee.
7) Again start pulsing and it will come together like a dough. If it is not coming together then you can add 1 teaspoon of water and pulse again. You may not need to add water, it depends on the size and moisture content of your dates.
8) Remove that mixture into the plate. Grease the modak moulds with ghee. Start shaping them using mould. I usually keep the mould close, start stuffing and pressing tightly from the bottom hole. Then smooth out the bottom surface and after that, I open the mould carefully and remove the dry fruits modak. Repeat the same for rest.
If making this on normal days, you can shape into ladoo instead.
During the Ganesh Chaturthi festival this dry fruits modak is offered to Lord Ganesha, then served to devotees.
There is another version of making dry fruits modak where the stuffing is made from nuts and dried fruits. The procedure to make an outer layer, shaping and steaming method are same as ukadiche modak.
Dry fruits modak recipe
- 12 no. or 2 tablespoons Almonds
- 15 no. or 3 tablespoons Cashew nuts
- 8 Dates seeds removed and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons Raisins I used 1 tablespoon of each golden and black raisins
- ½ cup Desiccated coconut
- 1 tablespoon Ghee (Clarified butter)
- 1-2 teaspoons Water if needed
Making dry fruits modak recipe:
- First take almonds and cashews in the grinder or food processor. Make powder out of it by pulsing them.
- Now add dates, raisins and dry coconut. Now again pulse it and make coarse mixture.
- Now add ghee. Again start pulsing and it will come together like a dough.
- If it is not coming together than you can add 1 teaspoon of water and pulse again. You may not need to add water, it depends on the size and moisture content of your dates.
- Remove that mixture into the plate.
- Grease the modak moulds with ghee.
- Start shaping using mould.