Instant Pot Dal Makhani Recipe - the popular Indian restaurant dish is very easy to make at home. So no more take outs or going to the restaurant.
What is Dal Makhani?
This is staple dish in Punjab, North India. This flavorful, creamy, rich black lentils are usually served with rice or naan, paratha. The Punjabi meal is not complete without dal makhani - rice or dal fry (instant pot) - jeera rice.
Here Makhani means ‘Buttery’. As the name says, the good amount of butter is used while making instant pot dal makhani.
Speaking of dal (lentils), we are using the mixture of whole black lentils (Urad) and red kidney beans (rajma). Black lentils are used in more quantity while kidney beans quantity just a little.
The traditional method of making dal makhani (the way it is made in dhaba) is very time consuming. It takes hours of cooking on stove top. It is quicker to make in pressure cooker. And easier to make in Instant pot.
It taste better when simmered slowly on stove top for hours. But nowadays who has that much time, we are using the quick route here but we are not compromising on taste here. Trust me, it tastes equally good as made traditional way.
Instant Pot Dal Makhani Recipe Rundown:
- Taste & Texture: Rich, creamy, buttery, lightly spiced with soft, melt-in-your-mouth lentils
- Pros: made quickly vs traditional method without compromising taste and flavors. Vegan friendly (Options included below)
- Cons: buttery goodness is not good for health. But who cares? Though healthy option included below.
Few Notes on Instant Pot Dal Makhani:
- It requires overnight or at least 8 hours soaking. So always plan ahead.
- Soaked black lentils take 25 minutes to cook in Instant pot. And brown basmati rice also takes almost same time to cook. So why not make both together using PIP (pot-in-pot) method. See below.
- The amount of butter and cream used here is not good for everyday cooking and health. So the vegan option is the wise choice for daily meal.
- Vegan option: Use oil instead of butter. Skip the cream. The black lentils are little creamy itself, so no need to use any vegan cream.
Instant Pot Dal Makhani Recipe (Creamy Black lentils with Brown Rice)
- ¾ cup Whole Urad dal (Black lentils)
- ¼ cup Rajma (Red kidney beans)
For dal makhani recipe:
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 2 Cloves
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- ½ cup Onion chopped
- 1 tablespoons Ginger garlic paste , or chopped or minced
- 2 small Tomatoes Pureed
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 3 cups Water
- 1 teaspoon Kasoori methi (Dried fenugreek leaves)
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala
- 2 tablespoons Heavy whipping cream
- Cilantro or coriander leaves for garnishing
For PIP brown rice:
- 1 cup Brown basmati rice
- 1 ¼ cups Water
- Salt to taste
- Combine black lentils and kidney beans in a colander and wash under running cold water till water runs clear.
- Take into bowl, add enough water (2 inches above the lentils) and soak overnight or at least 8 hours.
- At the time of making, prep rest of the ingredients e.g. chop onions. Make ginger garlic paste or finely chop or mince fresh one or use store-bought one. Roughly chop tomatoes and make smooth puree into blender.
- Discard the soaking water from lentils and keep it aside.
Making instant pot dal makhani recipe:
- Turn on the saute mode in instant pot. Once hot add butter and let it melt.
- Add cinnamon and cloves, fry for a minute and you will get nice aroma of the spices.
- Add chopped onions and cook for 2 minutes or till they becomes soft.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for 30-40 seconds.
- Add pureed tomato and cook for 3-4 minutes. Most the water evaporates and becomes thick.
- Add salt, red chili powder and mix.
- Add soaked beans, fresh water and stir.
- If cooking brown rice together than put the rack and rice container.
- Cover the lid with valve to sealing. Cook on manual (high pressure) for 25 minutes.
- Do the NPR (natural pressure release), once pin drops open the lid.
- Add kasoori methi, garam masala and heavy cream.
- Mix well and it is ready to serve.